Chapter 105

"You have a wound on your face. Are you okay elsewhere? I heard that you weren't hurt much compared to the seriousness of the accident... Do you still hurt?"

"I'm okay. I have no major injuries, and the wounds are almost healed now. How are you, Daddy? You're not injured, right? I haven't seen you for only ten days, but you look so haggard. Didn't you tell me intentionally you were not sick? Was there a threat or assassination?"

Marianne hurriedly asked a barrage of questions and then swallowed dry saliva. She lowered her voice when she spoke her last words.

Duke Kling smiled graciously and shook his head.

"No. I'm in very good shape. Iric was faithfully by my side, so there was nothing bad. I just want to appreciate your considerations for my safety."

He gave her a gentle answer, and she felt relieved. Now she began to look for that familiar person that her father mentioned.

"By the way, where is Iric?"

Duke Kling moved a step back and glanced at Iric who was standing on guard nearby.

Marianne approached the black Astolf cape standing alone among the cloaks of the white Eluang Knights.

"Iric."

"... Lady!" Iric barely opened his mouth.

Although he answered her call, he couldn't bring up any other topic. He was in a mess, afflicted with a mix of guilt and joy, despair, and responsibility. He felt he wasn't even qualified to apologize before her.

He carried the sword only for the purpose of defending her, but she was injured.

His hand holding the hilt shook faintly because it could not overcome his grip.

"Thank you, Iric."

Marianne laughed as if she appreciated his loyalty. Her white hand grasped Iric's tense arm gently. The cold metal armor that wrapped the joints froze her palm. But the warmth of her hands was hotter and stronger. Soon, her warm body temperature was transferred to his cool body armor.

"Were you surprised very much? I'm fine. Seriously. Didn't you hear the news brought by the messenger bird? His Majesty was injured more than me. See, I'm walking like this and laughing. Don't you still believe me? But I'm serious..."

While trying to make eye contact with him, she kept babbling.

Irick looked at her hand instead of making eye contact with her. Something red was reflected in her affectionate hands.

It was a thin, sleek ring made of pure gold.

"Safely..." Iric took a deep breath.

"I'm so glad you have come back safely..."

But he couldn't finish his words. His filthy and ugly feelings blocked his throat. He felt he could be satisfied with the fact that she was alive, but his cowardly greed turned it upside down in a moment.

Fortunately, Marianne seemed to understand his silence from a slightly different angle.

"Oh, I am happy that you welcomed me safely with my father. I've got so many stories to tell you, so let me talk to you when I take a walk with you later. Huh? Got it?"

Iric barely nodded his head. Marianne took her hand off his arm and looked around.

Meanwhile, Duchess Lamont and Marquise Chester, Beatrice, got out of the carriage and were received as warmly as Marianne.

At that moment, Eckart was standing with Colin and Jed, along with their families. He smiled faintly at Jed whose face turned red as he was trying to hold back tears, and Colin kept wiping his tears.