Chapter 73

Several leaves of plants with white flowers among the green leaves were ripped off. She threw away the flower beds and buds as if they were useless.

'What is she doing?'

While he was wondering, he smelled something fishy at the tip of his nose.

"Please chew it well. Come on!"

Marianne pushed the blade of grass between his lips as if she were humoring a child who didn't want to take medicine. Eckart knitted his brows more intensely.

"Why are you giving this..."

"It's anesthesia. It's grass called Roshan's Star. This is poisonous, so you should not eat it. It's also called lunatic grass because animals go crazy after eating it unknowingly."

"Then, why are you telling me to chew it now?"

"It's okay because there is only a painkiller substance in the leaves. Are you worried if I poison you at all when I put all my time and effort into saving your life?"

She looked down at Eckhart with a sullen expression. He felt very strange about her gaze, which was higher than his. In other words, he felt he was really protected by her as she looked down, just like her mother quietly wiped her forehead as a child when he had a fever and couldn't sleep.

In the end, he shut up and chewed the blades of grass. The unique bitterness of raw grass hovered inside his mouth.

"It doesn't taste good at all."

"Medicine naturally tastes bitter anyway."

She brazenly answered and skillfully trimmed the grass she picked up. She separated only leaves from the branches of dense oval leaves along the stem in a bunch of grass resembling clovers. When she put herbs on flat gravel and crushed them with heavy gravel, the leaves quickly lost their shape and were torn off.

Tak, tak!

The sound of gravel clashing together was produced periodically.

Eckart looked closely at what she was doing, and opened his mouth.

"Do you know how to distinguish between herbs and poisons?"

"Well, yes. To some extent."

"What is that? Do I have to eat it, too?"

Marianne burst into a smile and laughed at that. She was not supposed to laugh in such a situation, but strangely enough, she felt relaxed and lost track of time.

'Do all people in distress lose a sense of reality in this way?' she thought to herself.

"Does it really taste bad?"

"Very bad."

"Do not worry. I'll apply this without having you eat it. This little grass is a marsh pennywort, and these branches are beautyberry branches. Both are effective for hemostasis, so I'm going to put them on your wounds. It's common, but this medicinal herb is not everywhere, but I was so happy to find them nearby."

Listening to her explanation in detail, Eckart recalled the intelligence briefing report Jed brought to him recently. When reading it, he remembered that one of her hobbies was collecting medicinal herbs.

"I hear you were well versed in plants, but I didn't know you had such a deep knowledge of medicine."

"I have been fond of flowers and trees since childhood. My father said that it's because I look like my mother. At first, I grew a lot of pretty plants, but I became interested in medicinal plants by chance."