Chapter 99

Helena laid her hands on the old scriptures and slowly crossed herself after putting her hand on her forehead and chest.

Eckart and Marianne slowly crossed themselves after her.

"I would like to bless you under the protection of the nine gods."

When Helena was done, two priests who knelt beside the pillar closest to the altar stood up.

The two priests, who pulled down the hood of their white robes, supported the two so they could face each other.

"God Airius said, 'I will surely shed the first light in the sky on the royal lineage.'"

Helena declared the blessing of the first god. Airius's protection was the Frey family's lineage itself. As if to prove his blessing, Eckart's golden hair shone in the sun.

"Goddess Anthea said, 'I will make sure the king's wife will reap the evidence of the abundance on earth.'"

Helena declared the blessing of the second god. This time, the priest who supported Marianne politely offered the young green barley on the altar to her.

Marianne held out her hands under the veil. She grasped the stem of the plain grain with her hands with her thin lace gloves. The grains that would grow and ripen in the future was evidence of the riches that Anthea allowed on the earth.

"Goddess Serapina said, 'I will impart undying embers to burn away and remove the unclean things and light up the night.'"

When Helena declared the blessing for the third time, Beatrice walked behind the priest holding the glass lamp. The two approached the fireplace behind Helena.

The burning embers there were with the sacred torch that had never been extinguished since the temple was opened.

When Beatrice opened the lid of the glass lamp, the priest took out a piece of burning firewood with a stick the priest had put in advance. The embers burning the firewood soon were moved to the lamp quickly. Beatrice closed the lamp cover again and slowly returned to her original position.

"God Ran said, 'I will give you the endless water that is not dry, so that you can save lives on earth and wash away ominous disasters.'"

When Helena was done with the fourth god's blessing, Grand Duke Christopher stepped forward with a pair of silver glasses. A priest received the silver cup from him and brought it to the altar.

Helena raised two small silver kettles on the altar and tilted them. It was the holy water that filled the empty glasses, which they obtained before they fell from Benoit Falls.

Eckart and Marianne took their own cup and drank half of it. Subsequently, the priests dipped the remaining water in their glasses and touched their foreheads, the tip of their noses, cheeks, and lips in turn. It was an act of cleanliness as if they created a protective shield made of water.

"God Zephyrus said, 'I will offer the constant wind that can blow away the tent of concealment that blinds truth and despair which cast mist before your eyes.'"

Subsequently, Helena's declaration of the fifth god's blessing resonated through the main hall.

Eckart lifted the veil over Marianne's head in person. A long, soft cloth was swept over the tiara, modeled after the wind.

Now, with her veil removed, he could clearly see her. His blue eyes, as cool as the sea, and her green, as fresh as the forest, faced each other.

"Goddess Kader said, 'I will ensure you the fate that never goes wrong during a thousand resurrections, with the promise of righteous courage and retribution.'"