Chapter 155

"Wes, you were not a knight but an official who swore to live by conscience and good faith. Even if the road ahead is steep and treacherous, if you know it's the right one, just go there. Please try not to be a shameful parent to our child."

Those were the words of his wife who, putting Blair's ring in his hand, advised him that he should be a proud father of her baby.

If she had lived to this day and discovered this, she would have been willing to risk her life on the battlefield like Marianne. She would not have left him hesitating until now.

"If I force you to flee from this fight, can you respect my decision? If I die and you survive, can you live happily for the rest of your life?"

Marianne reached out and touched her father's cheeks wet with tears.

"You told me that someday the truth would be revealed, that what I was doing was the right thing, right?"

She wiped away her father's tears and held his hands with a smile.

"Let's do the right thing together."

"... Marie."

"It's not too late yet. It's only the start now. So far, you have been trying to protect me. From now on, let me take the lead. So, let me protect myself and everyone. So, please be my spear and shield as well as the emperor's."

What she said now was different from what she told him on the night she returned to the capital. Back then, she falsely vowed to him that she would not be hurt. Obviously he didn't expect that his daughter, who he thought was so young and fragile as she was raised without any fear of difficulties and troubles, would say something so daring and mature.

"You are not going to let me fight my enemy without any weapons, right?"

He did not hate his daughter's courage like that. Actually, it was bold and beautiful.

The duke stared at his daughter's white and fine face for a long time. After a little long and heavy silence, he asked his daughter one last time.

"Are you sure you'll be alright? Do you think you won't regret it?"

"Nope, never."

He surrendered completely before her decisive and righteous answer.

He even felt that perhaps the result of this fight had already been decided a long time ago.

"... Okay. Let me follow your decision. How can I beat you?"

Marianne again jumped into her father's arms, who let out a sigh as if he had surrendered.

Relieved by his hand stroking her hair as always, she smiled faintly.

"Do not worry. My mother in heaven will certainly help me."

Goddess Kader's prophecy was right. She was moving forward little by little at every moment.

"But... Why did you act so recklessly that day? You said if you die once more, you can fix it...How can you say such terrible things?"

"Oh, that's because..."

* * *

After a stormy day, the sun rose anew. It was extremely calm in Milan.

As it was past the beginning of June, the weather was getting hotter, and the humidity was rising a little bit as if it wasn't long before the rainy season would come.

The Elior Mansion, which banned visitors for several days, was opened again because Marianne resumed her activities in social circles as scheduled, starting today.