Chapter 102

"Do you believe in the myth?" Eckart asked after giving her an ambiguous reply.

"Well, this is a secret you shouldn't tell the cardinal and the priests."

Marianne looked around as if she was going to tell him a top secret.

"I almost never believed it. I was an unfaithful believer, to say the least."

There was a faint smile on her face as if she was confessing her sin.

"But I'm going to believe it as much as I feel it's beneficial for me. "

She began to condition her faith on the benefits, which he didn't expect at all.

He turned his eyes away from her with a heavy heart.

In fact, he couldn't think straight at the moment.

In the meantime, Marianne stared at the quiet darkness outside the window, over the front table.

As was the case with Eckart a little while ago, her white and beautiful face was also overshadowed by the light. Overlaid on top of it was his clear and firm resolution.

He bit his lower lip tightly. He had seen such a face a long time ago in the deepest room of the Lucio Imperial Palace, in his mother's bedroom and sometimes in his long and terrible nightmares.

At that moment Marianne suddenly said, "So many people were injured and killed because of that bad bastard Ober!"

Having said that, she reached out to the blanket and put her slender fingers on his injured arm. Even on her hands, which stroked his wounds, had scratches that were still red.

Countess Renault, who had been left behind in the capital, was once unconscious after being bitten by a snake, and everyone who was on their way to the temple was injured both large and small. The horseman who drove the emperor's wagon fell from the steep falls and died.

All these bad things happened in less than ten days. How many lives were silently lost, and how many more new deaths or injuries would be in the future, Marianne would not even dare to estimate. Although she didn't know exactly who was behind the terrible scheme, she could no longer hold onto the hope that it might have been an accident.

"I won't forgive the criminal who caused this accident. Never."

Faced with her decisive and intense anger, Eckart found himself relieved shamefully.

"If I need God's help, I will borrow it. If I need others' help, I'll ask for it. If anything will be useful as a weapon, I will use it all. So, I'll certainly have that bad brat pay the price for the crime he committed..." Marianne vaguely finished her words.

She recalled the harsh death in her previous life and other terrible things: her crying, holding her father's coffin on that snowy day, her desperate hanging on to Eckart while losing consciousness in cold and pain, and Hess and Barton's undeserved congratulatory messages for her.

"I want to live happily this time," she said.

It was simple, but looked almost impossible for the two to achieve.

Marianne slowly turned her head to look at Eckart. His blue eyes, which were a bit warm because ofthe lamplight, were staring at her like he did when he tested Iric, and like the time he appeared in her dream and scared her.

"Ah, of course it'll be with Your Majesty. You are not going to dump me after you knock down Ober, are you?"

Eckart frowned at her question.

"Marianne, do you think I consider you a hunting dog?"

"No. Although I'm lacking in many qualities, I think I can be your partner to lean on. Don't you think so?" She shamelessly shrugged her shoulders.