Chapter 31

"Well, I hope you are not a cheater," Eckart said.

"Of course I'm not a cheater to you. And I'm going to do the same to Ober."

It was a decisive and puzzling answer.

Eckart was amazed at her forthcoming attitude and innocent face. He felt it every time he met her, but she was a woman who was literally unpredictable.

"Do you think Ober believed everything you said?"

"I do not know. Maybe not everything, I think. He is pretty much suspicious."

"He actually is, and I think he is better at deceiving people than you."

"But privately he said he would contact me separately. If he hadn't believed what I said, he wouldn't have sent me back like this."

She couldn't read Ober's intention thoroughly, but she knew one thing more accurately than anyone else.

Be it his genuine heart or not, he was not the type of person who kept anything unnecessary in his hands.

"He needs me too," she said, slightly elated. Ober was a traitor, according to her. He was a betrayer who deserted his lover.

"Anyway, though you find it inconvenient, I hope we can meet secretly like this for the time being. Maybe he put his moles in the mansion, too. Being careful pays off anyway," she said,

as if to tease him further.

"Meeting you like this every time?" he asked back in embarrassment.

In fact, today the emperor was also wearing a black robe from head to toe like he did on the day he first met her first. As he hid himself completely with a black robe, he could disappear right away in the shade of the garden any time.

"Well, I hope we can meet in an official setting to wrap up this whole deal, but that's impossible.

Don't you think you will feel much more comfortable if you disguise yourself to meet me rather than me disguising myself and entering the palace?"

"... "

There was nothing wrong with her remarks.

"I hope that isn't the trick of your communicating with Ober more easily."

At that point, she quickly changed her facial expression as if she ate rotten carrot stalks.

"Look. Don't you know what I did to deceive that bastard?"

She gently pulled her red lower lip with her white fingers. Though the surroundings weren't very bright, she came closer to the emperor in a fit of anger.

This allowed Eckart to take a glimpse of the wounds on her lips.

"I bit my lip as hard as I could because I could've been caught if I had shed crocodile tears."

"..."

"It really hurt. I still feel pain on my lips. It really hurts even when I drink water."

Marian pouted a sullen face.

"Got it. I believe you."

"I know you won't believe me even though you say that."

She finally asked the question that she wanted to ask.

"By the way, if I want to contact you suddenly, is there any other way for me to contact you without going through Mrs. Charlotte?"

"Do you need another method to contact me?"

"Well, I think so. I just wonder what I should do if something happens so urgently that I can't wait, or if I have something that I want to let you know without letting others know."