Chapter 137

Kling leaned back in his chair, smiling bitterly. The glowing sun shining from the back of his head shone and reddened the desk. He felt tired after a long day's work. As he was almost done, Kling could go back home, but he didn't feel like it at all.

At the moment he recalled someone's voice, which tormented him for the past several days.

The voice was neither that of Duke Hubble nor Mrs. Chester, nor Ober. Rather, it was that of his most beloved daughter in the world.

Just recalling her voice made him feel vividly as if she was standing before him with trembling eyes and voice. With a long sigh, he dropped his hand helplessly.

Riding the carriage that Curtis drove hurriedly to the capital, he realized immediately that the time would come soon when he had to tell his daughter everything.

The imperial capital was such a place. It was a city without eternal secrets. It was a place where even compassion and love were the means of power, and it was difficult to distinguish sweet lies from the cold truth.

Anyway, Marianne would now be the new owner of that ferocious castle.

Regardless of the type and purpose of the war, the victory and defeat in all battles depended on good intelligence. Duke Kling was prepared to give any information that would benefit Eckart once he entered the battle. It didn't even matter if it hurt his honor or power.

Besides good intelligence, he would also spare no efforts to spend his wealth, estates, people and even the remainder of his life to help Eckart. In fact, he had been saving up all this for this very purpose. But there was one thing he didn't want to sacrifice under any circumstances.

"Please don't worry too much. Okay? I won't be hurt. Never. If I think it's dangerous, I'll run away immediately."

What he absolutely wanted to make sure of was his daughter's safety and her safe and calm daily life. He also promised to guarantee her safety during her life, without any wounds or danger for the rest of her life.

On the very same day when Duke Kling came up to the capital, Marianne vowed before her reunited father that she would never be hurt. He did not believe her entirely. He knew well that it was not true. It was only natural that she would inevitably lose something while standing in the vortex of a strong political strife in central politics.

And Marianne was threatened many times as if she was going to prove his distrust in her words. The snake on the eve of the ball, the accident in Roshan, and even the Adenium pot that she received from Mrs. Chester as her engagement gift were swords pointed at her at the end of the day.

The reason she survived until now was because someone who wanted to harm her didn't yet want to kill her or she was lucky enough to survive with God's grace.

Kling raised his body after leaning against the chair.

'I was too complacent. Fortunately, this time it stopped here...It was too reckless of a trick from the beginning. If things go wrong, is it the same as myself being thrown away to die first?'

He swallowed dry saliva once, closing his lips tight.

'I haven't told him yet, but they're moving faster than expected. I need to hurry up. Mrs. Chester won't give the same warning twice.'

As far as he knew, Marianne was too good and Mrs. Chester was too wicked and cunning. Simply comparing their temperaments, Marianne could not win the fight.

What if she really falls in love with the emperor...

Duke Kling arose from his seat as if he vowed something.