Chapter 183

Ober put the tilted cup down on the carriage table. When he looked at Shahar across the table, there was suspicion and a bit of annoyance in his ash eyes.

"It looks like you've heard the rumors in the street. Who is this guy Yurt?" Ober asked.

"Oh, it seems you don't love her. Then, is she the woman you need for your interests?" Shahar asked.

"Well, If you love, you need her."

"Hummm.... you thought you came to love the woman because you needed her."

Shahar grinned. Be it coincidence or inevitability, his judgement of Ober was very accurate.

Ober clenched his jaw tightly. When he devised this plan, he predicted how Shahar would react, but he realized that Shahar was a very sophisticated guy when he sized him up in person. There was a faint but intense ambition behind Shahar's gentle expression. Ober turned his mouth up, feeling a strong displeasure.

"I hear that the emperor loves her dearly. I wonder if he needs her all the more because he loves her. If he wants to embrace that woman with such a lousy reputation, he wouldn't love her just because she is cute. Usually the members of the royal family bet their lives on their honor."

"Of course most of them do, but what you are saying seems pretty contradictory."

"Me? Well, I'm not in that league. My title is not proper enough to put me in a league in which I would value my honor more than anything else."

While talking about himself, Shahar acted casually as if he were indifferent. However, there was still something significant in his seemingly banal words.

Karim, the current emperor of Faisal, took power after winning the bloody fight for succession. He killed not only his half-brothers but also his blood brothers in the process. After the terrible battle, Karim hoped that there would not be any more bloody fighting among his descendants. He believed that securing a firm successor in advance was the most efficient way to suppress the ambitions of the potential successors.

Accordingly, after Alessa's first son, 1st Prince Rashid, was named as the crown prince, the imperial instructors taught Shahar that freedom and indulgence were more valuable than honor. Karim's children born to his concubines were also taught the same.

Shahar naturally liked drawings more than books, women more than the sword, and alcohol more than the horse. Many of the pleasures and nightlife of the empire were his, but he couldn't claim any justice or great cause. If anyone earned respect and fame that was great enough to challenge his authority as the next successor, that would be regarded as treason.

"Well, don't you think the order of succession can be changed at any time? "

Ober gave him a glass, saying something significant.

Shahar glanced at Ober, knitting his brows. After a moment of silence, he answered with a cheerful voice, "That's funny. I like you, Ober, and that woman, too." Ober frowned slightly at his reply.

He was Aslan's foreign minister. Regardless of how many innocent people had to be killed before he took his position, his talent as the minister of foreign affairs was outstanding.

There was no one better than him in terms of identifying the diplomatic documents favorable to their own interests or mixing subtle words and the motivations of foreign envoys trying to take a handful more of land and wealth.

Based on his years of experience and long precedents, he discovered that the likes and dislikes of the imperial family of a country didn't not necessarily mean simply good or bad.