Chapter 112

Marianne changed the topic without knowing what he was thinking deep inside at the moment. Eckart stared at her as she had brought up a new topic shamelessly, and eventually only breathed a long sigh as if he gave in.

"... Okay. So, have you chosen one?"

"Yeah. I've given it a thought, and I think we can hold the reception as a martial arts event."

"Martial arts event?"

She nodded without any reservation. He suddenly asked seriously while pressing his stinging temple, "You're not going to participate in the event, are you?"

"No way! I'm not talented in martial arts at all. I'm a woman who knows my place very well."

"Oh, I'm glad to hear that!"

She pouted her lips at his dumb reply. However, she quickly calmed down and leaned over his desk. Her familiar red diamond necklace shook and sparkled in front of her arms supporting her body.

"At first, I thought you said that because you hated Iric, but when I looked back, I thought you didn't say that with any personal feelings."

"What?"

Eckart immediately made a perplexed expression. She quickly continued even before he took issue with her remarks.

"You are right. Iric can't always be with me. Today, I was worried about him, so I let him use his vacation leave. How can a person work for 24 hours straight?"

"... It's not necessarily impossible, but it's usually too demanding."

"It's not just too demanding, but impossible. No, it's impossible. If you have Curtis in mind right now, don't even think about him as an example, please. Sir Curtis is an exception. He's weird. How can a person run around in the high mountains all day without drinking a sip of water or sleeping? He moved around in the mountains with you on his back for as long as four hours. And then he stood on security guard the next morning. Can anybody do it like him?"

"Um..."

"And I saw it myself. When Sir Curtis is walking, I don't hear any sound. It looks like he's nowhere, but he always stands by your side. He really looks like a ghost. Is he hiding somewhere here? If he really is, please ask him to listen to me. If he wants to stand by His Excellency, he has to take care of himself well. He seems to think his body is like stone. We're all fragile humans..."

"Marianne, I know you are wasting your breath, but..."

"Look, I'm not worried about him without any reason. I'm also worried about you. Why are you writing again when your arm was broken? I would have asked Cordelli even to feed me. He has to ask for help when he needs it. I just have no idea how he takes after his master so much..."

She sighed and grumbled without hesitation.

Eckart couldn't figure out how to react to her naive and gentle, but rude words. He casually looked around once and lifted the mug and quenched his thirst.

"Anyway, thanks for understanding my position, but I would like to make it clear that I didn't do that because I didn't want your protection."

"Well, I think you were so radical when you received his greetings first."

"That's because..."

As soon as he opened his mouth as if to clarify, she lifted her upper body. She clapped her hands and folded her fingers naturally.

"Of course, I know. You needed to do so back then. I understand it now. But I was very surprised when I just stood there, watching you that day. Iric must have been much more surprised as you threw a sword at him. So, I decided that even if Iric spoke ill of you behind your back, I would not tell you that."