Chapter 111

Marianne was speechless at his question and shut up. She rolled her green eyes slowly, pretending to be calm.

'Why did he suddenly mention my father? What does my father's secluded life in the estate have anything to do with this? He must be plotting some dirty trick... '

Hesitating for a moment, she decided to give him the most obvious and safe answer.

"... My father hates fighting. So, he tried to stay away from the political strife in the capital."

"Political strife doesn't know the place. It can happen everywhere. Besides, Duke Kling was the late emperor's best friend. In other words, he could pull the strings if he wanted to. With such honor and power, he could sway politics even if stayed in his residence at Lennox Castle."

Ober contradicted her claim right away.

"Well, he might have wanted to focus on governing his own castle as the lord."

"It may be the answer to his rejection of the emperor's offer, but it's inappropriate for his long secluded life. In addition, Lennox Castle, unlike the Kling Castle, is not a territory that has been handed down for generations, but a surrogate estate of the late empress. Granted it was the emperor's order, but was the land that one day had to be returned to the imperial family more important than the hereditary land of his family?"

"That's because..."

"Besides, it is the land where Duke Kling lost his beloved wife. It's not a good place for him to feel any attachment."

"..."

Marianne bit her lower lip without finishing her words.

In her previous life, she would have argued with Ober that he misunderstood her father. But now she could not be confident that he was wrong.

"I know well that Duke Kling cares for you like his life. That's why I would like to say..."

Ober wrapped his arms around her shoulders as if he was worried about her. Oddly, some strange warmth from his body pressed her shoulders like a rock.

"Sons and daughters of families with similar social statuses get married usually. It has been customary for the daughters and sons of dukes to marry their counterparts of the imperial restraint. In addition, Duke Kling and the late emperor were two close friends. So, they must have talked about the marriage of their son and daughter."

Marianne took pains to avoid Ober's eyes. She tried not to listen to him.

Anyway, what he said was a lie. Ober was the type of man who used falsehood as a weapon rather than trust. He could plan any scheme to harm the emperor, his father and her.

"And you are the only daughter among those daughters of influential duke families who can marry the emperor now."

But unlike her reason, her body and mind began to be swayed by Ober's words.

"But why hasn't your father mentioned your marriage so far? Traditionally, marriage with somebody is arranged right after you turn ten, and then you get formally married when you come of age. Then, why did your father hide you in the castle of Lennox and didn't allow you to appear in the social gatherings in the capital?"

"Well, perhaps because he wanted to keep you by his side all his life? If not... "

As if he knew everything about her, Ober stroked her pale cheeks with his long fingers.

The raw skin on her face became slightly red as if it responded to his touch. While laughing, he tilted his head more inward. His hands around her face forcibly fixed her eyes.