Chapter 76

"I'm...okay..."

His voice was fainter than that of breathing, and cut off sparingly.

"Did you say you're okay?"

She raised herself with an unbelievable look. Worry and astonishment, anger and fear, were mixed up in her mind.

"You're not okay. Your Majesty is not at all okay now! Why did you stick it out until you ended up in this condition? You should have woken me up!"

She shot him a sharp glance and looked at his back. When she looked closer under the moonlight, only a little bit of sticky medicinal herbs were stained on his back. Luckily, it looked like the blood had stopped, but considering the amount of bleeding during the day, he was not in a safe situation.

"Why are you saying you're okay all the time? You're human. If you hurt, you bleed, and if you get sick, you have a fever! Why are you so stubborn when nobody is watching you here?"

The more she spoke, the more upset she felt. Without replying at all, he just stared at her blankly. As if he was losing consciousness due to hypothermia, his eyes were half-closed, and his breathing was too slow.

"Can you speak frankly to me? You can do whatever you want after you return home alive. You told me you wouldn't die. You promised me you wouldn't do anything that could scare me off..."

His tranquil blue eyes slowly closed and then opened.

She quickly wiped the tears from her cheeks. Apart from being resentful about him, she had to come up with a way to increase his body temperature.

'... If I could make a fire.'

This kind of wishful thinking made her upset. The clothes she hung were not yet dry, and it was like a suicide to cover him with the wet clothes. She was not sure how much time was left until sunrise.

"Wait a minute. Let me rake in some dry grass..."

She was about to raise herself before flopping down again. Her wrists caught by him felt almost cold.

"I'll be right back. I'm not running away. How can I run away and leave you behind here?"

While trying to appease him, she twisted her wrists slightly to pull away from his grip. She had no time to argue with him.

But he did not let her go. Even though he was like a dying corpse, he strongly hung on her with all his might that she couldn't believe at all.

"Don't...go..."

He feebly but desperately said that, but it was the loudest voice he could make at the moment.

She looked down at him with wet eyes. Of all the countless faces she had ever seen, his was the most helpless and weakest. At the same time, what he said was the most honest and earnest request ever.

"Maria...nne..."

She bit her lip bitterly. Even in this desperate situation, she felt touched when he called her name and her heart throbbed.

"I'm so...cold..."

Having said that, his blue eyes closed completely. And his hands holding her wrists fell down helplessly.

* * *

Knock, knock.

Knocks rang out in the quiet office. Duke Kling, who was burying his head in a pile of papers on the desk, looked up. When he looked at the clock, it was just past midnight.

"Come in."

Following his answer, the door opened. A large shadow slipped in quickly.

"I'm honored to see your lord."