Chapter 164

'Perhaps at least one or two of the assigned knights will be able to serve as my messengers. There must be a reason for Ober to act arrogantly. He is now in the same boat with the emperor by forming an imperfect union, but if I take the oar away from the betrayer and drown him, the boat will move again as I wish...'

Right at the moment, Duke Hubble's closed door opened slowly and without notice.

The two instinctively looked at the door. Something slipped inside the door. It was the edge of a dark satin dress. The light reflected on the fabric sparkled like a shining stream. The scent of the jasmine flower drifted into the room with the outside air.

"Oh, sorry. I've been overhearing your conversation outside. I just feel so sorry for your son Elias."

She tossed a tightly woven black veil with her elegant hand. The woman making a pitiable expression was Mrs. Chester.

Duke Hubble didn't respond. He did not ask how she entered the mansion currently surrounded by security guards of the Imperial Palace. Anyway, he shared lots of plots and tricks with her. Without that, he would not have paid any attention to her from the beginning.

But the muscle under her chin swelled noticeably. Her dark eyebrows were turned up. The unwelcome intruder's visit was a matter of good or bad rather than possible or impossible.

No matter how often she visited his mansion, she should have followed the due process of entering the mansion, let alone his room.

Every servant and maid at his mansion was well aware of Mrs. Chester's fiery temperament, but most of them stuck to the strict procedures about outsiders' visits despite her strong rebuke and resistance because the owner of their mansion was more powerful than she was.

But how could she ignore the procedures just because he was under house arrest?

It was natural that Duke Hubble felt unpleasant and disgusted at her arrogant attitude as someone who had held an influential power since he was born. He had never felt such an unpleasant feeling even during the late emperor's reign, who had always kept aristocrats in check.

"The social circles were shocked because of you today. I hear you were put under house arrest. I was so surprised and worried that I ran straight here. You don't know how hard it was to appease the security guards here to come in. Hope you can appreciate my hard efforts."

Mrs. Chester approached the table while Hubble and his son stared at her. She bent her knees slightly for their understanding then slowly sat down on the sofa. Every time she moved, the scent of the jasmine flowers wafted into the room.

"Elias. Go and bring Wigden here."

Duke Hubble ordered in an annoyed tone. When Elias was about to stand up, Mrs. Chester spoke.

"Wigden? I think I have heard that name before.... Wigden..."

"Really? I'm glad to hear that. That guy kindly escorted you back to your mansion before."

"Ah, I didn't know his name was Wigden. You said something ambiguous at the end of your talk, so I was wondering what you meant."

She nodded as if she fully understood. Now, Duke Hubble's face, which obviously showed he was very uncomfortable about her presence, was distorted like crumpled paper.

He was a veteran politician and more seasoned than anybody else. He was also a political gambler who played hundreds and thousands of games. In the capital, it was a piece of cake for him to solve the messed up puzzles or find the right pair of missing cards. He quickly began to make a plan for survival by finding the horses and cards that he failed to link because of his complicated thoughts.