Chapter 75

"I think she will be safe."

"Lady Biche..."

"And you are not responsible for the accident. No one knew that would happen."

"However..."

"Don't blame yourself. That doesn't help you at all, Ms. Cordelli. Think about this instead. If she looks at you now, what will she say?"

Beatrice sat down next to her and tilted her head gently.

"Do you think she would have gotten mad at you because you were not with her or would she have said, 'I'm glad you didn't hurt too much, so don't worry.' What do you think?"

She patted her shoulders kindly while looking at her.

Of course, Marianne would have said something to comfort her instead of blaming her. Cordelli recalled her kind and lovely face, voice, and gestures. She would definitely have inquired after her safety first instead of rebuking her or holding her accountable.

Of course, that was on the assumption that she was still alive.

"I heard what the knights said earlier. They said they found a horseman's body in the tributary. It was the man who drove the emperor's carriage. So, I ..."

Cordelli shut her mouth, unable to speak anymore. When she heard them, there were no words she could find hopeful as far as the emperor's carriage was concerned. Given the knights' mention of ominous things about the carriage, She couldn't even imagine any terrible misfortunes regarding the emperor and Marianne.

"I believe they will certainly come back safe and alive."

In the end, Beatrice changed the topic.

"If she comes back to the residence, she is going to use this room again, I guess. So, sleep soundly. Let us unpack that bag tomorrow so that she can live here comfortably whenever she comes back. Change the flowers in the vase, ventilate the air and that birdcage over there..."

Suddenly, their conversation was cut off. Cordelli lifted her head after some silence.

Beatrice was looking at a mountain of luggage, opening her eyes wide over her glasses.

"Lady Biche?..."

Cordelli called her with a hesitant voice, and Beatrice was gazing at something far ahead. There was a half-opened silver cage without its owner in one shade of the luggage piled up from the door to the window.

"Ms. Cordelli, do you know when the cage was empty?"

* * *

Marianne suddenly opened her eyes.

It was bluish and dark everywhere. It seemed like the sun had set while she was blinking.

She curled up, releasing her arms while hugging her knees. Her stiff muscles woke up, screaming. She felt the whole body aching from head to toe as if she was beaten by someone.

'Yeah, I overdid myself..."

Actually, she used up not only her physical strength, but also mental energy all day long.

She had to do all the work on behalf of the wounded emperor. While she was at it, she didn't know it was hard because she was just too absent-minded. Even if she did, she couldn't afford to play the baby.

No matter how hard or exhausted she was, she couldn't feel more painful than the emperor whose arm was broken and back was bleeding.

She looked at him lying on the side while massaging her numb arms.