Chapter 163

Reaching the limit of his patience, Duke Hubble grabbed his cane and swung it hard. The solid metal cane hit the floor hard enough to make a squeaking sound. Although he was not as strong as he was as a young man, the cane was still swung very hard for an old man like him.

But he didn't hit Kling as intended.

Kling turned his head towards Curtis. Curtis, who had blocked Duke Hubble's attack with one hand, slowly pulled the cane down. Only then did Duke Hubble withdraw his arm with a displeased look.

"Duke Hubble, if you are truly unrelated to this treason, just wait . Pretend you are taking a vacation leave for a few days. If the witnesses are escorted and questioned by the Justice Department investigators, I think your innocence can be proven. If you become impatient and hurry to counterattack, you will look more suspicious in the eyes of others."

After he was done, Kling deliberately looked around.

Officials of the Ministry of Interior, who were holding their breaths like corpses, could not take their eyes off the dispute between the two dukes. As soon as this meaningless battle ended, they would flee in all directions like birds and rats to spread what they heard.

Of course, the majority of them were more indebted to Duke Hubble than Duke Kling, but power knew no shame by nature. As long as the miner who dug up this marvelous secret proved to be Marquis Chester, they would surely compare the weight of their force. Even Duke Hubble himself would do so.

"Duke Kling, this is a very mean slander. In other words, this is a slander without any evidence. How can a prudent man like you act recklessly? As the Chief Chamberlain, you need to stop the emperor from making wrong decisions by advising him well. Are you going to throw away your pride and become the emperor's puppet to make your daughter his wife?"

"Unfortunately, there is no evidence that your claim is correct. Also, if it means being the emperor's puppet to follow the emperor's legitimate order, I would rather be the emperor's puppet than the instigator of treason. As long as you are doing the right thing, I don't think it is important to define its nature."

Both of them continued to exchange blatant accusations. Duke Hubble bit his lip. He stared at Kling with bloodshot eyes.

"Don't regret your actions. If the witnesses and the report turn out to be false, even the emperor will never forget what happened to me today."

Doubt breeds a crack in trust, and the crack changes the chessboard.

Thinking that perhaps the weapon that Eckart tried to put in his hand was this kind of anxiety, Duke Kling stepped back and showed manners to Duke Hubble.

"Please come back to your original position soon. Take care."

* * *

Duke Hubble's special villa in the capital was always crowded with people because those who wanted his favor and authority competed to make appointments with him, regardless of the weather, the season, the day of the week, or the time of day.

As a result, the butler and chief attendant were busier than the bureaucrats of the idle departments in the cabinet. It was rumored that former chief attendant Countess Bailin, who retired four years ago, purchased a large house in the capital with the bribes she received from those who wanted to make the appointment.

Tonight, the duke's mansion was quiet like a tomb. The mansion was much brighter than usual thanks to the guards surrounding it, but even the mayflies rushing toward the lights were disappearing somewhere. The sound of knights patrolling in their clanking armor was the only sound in the dark shade of the mansion.