Chapter 133

"Well, I have never heard anything special about it. "

"I see..."

Marianne looked down with a little sigh. The petal she was touching was quickly torn in half.

"Then I'll ask you something else."

"Please go ahead."

"I'm afraid to say this, but I know very little about the previous emperor and empress, power struggle within the cabinet, and the rumors about noble families. I'm trying to read official bulletins or seek advice from Mrs. Charlotte, but it's not easy. So, I asked somebody about one thing impatiently, but I haven't heard a clear answer yet..."

Her eyelashes under her dark green eyes trembled nervously.

"Was there any bad blood between my father and the late emperor?"

"... "

"What I want to know is if there was anything that could have estranged them."

Mrs. Renault did not immediately answer.

She was not sure whether it was Duke Kling or Eckart that she asked out of impatience.

Regardless of who he was, she could probably not hear any frank reply.

Love was not necessarily in contact with the truth.

Sometimes love became a veil that blinded the harsh truths and sometimes it turned into a desire not to lose somebody, which often fettered the involved parties in a false world.

"As you already know, your father Duke Kling was extremely reluctant to get involved in central politics from the late emperor's days. He even refused to take one of the top cabinet positions that the late emperor offered to him. I think the late emperor, who had weak power, must have felt a great regret because he needed Duke Kling's help."

Mrs. Renault did not love or value Marianne like her own life.

That's why Mrs. Renault refrained from replying to Marianne's appeal until now, not deciding whether to get involved in her matter.

"..."

As if she felt something strange in Mrs. Renault's reply, Marianne looked a bit uncomfortable while listening to her.

It wasn't because she already knew about what Mrs. Renault said, but because Mrs. Renault understood her question in the opposite way.

What Marianne wanted to know was not why the late emperor avoided her father, but why her father avoided the late emperor.

Namely, she wanted to know the reason why her father came to think of her marriage to the current emperor as unfortunate.

"Is that really it? Well, I know it because I read about it in the bulletins. I could hear the same thing if I stopped any maid at my mansion and asked about it."

"Lady Marianne, there are books you haven't read yet that are better than the ones you have already read. I mean, those ooks that you read over time and completely understand rather than hearing somebody reading them to you without understanding much."

"Are you saying I'm so stupid that I'm not qualified to read them?"

"..."

Mrs. Renault frowned slightly as she sharply retorted. She sat closer to the rim of the bathtub and grabbed the countess's hands.

Petals on the surface were swept away by the water.

"Please don't leave me out anymore. They always give me insufficient information. How do you cut an enemy with a dull sword? How do you fix a patient who doesn't show his or her wounded area?"