Chapter 173

Five days passed. Roshan finally had its rainy season at the end of June.

The funeral of Duke Hubble proceeded without any accident. On a rainy day, many nobles watched his coffin being moved to the Hubble Castle.

Marianne was there, too. Though her condolences were not 100% pure without any private feelings, she still prayed for his rest as best she could, believing that the price he didn't pay fully for his crimes when he was alive would be repaid in purgatory's flames.

Ober went to see Eckhart on the day when Duke Hubble's coffin was moved out of the capital. And as expected, he reported to the emperor that the witnesses went missing. In the meantime, Ober was as arrogant as before, suggesting that many more nobles supported him where they hadn't before.

His words didn't show anything that asked the emperor to punish him for his failure to bring the witnesses to the capital safely or shift the responsibility for the failure on him.

What he showed now was only his unfettered greed.

Eckhart did not rebuke Ober. Instead, he just made a deal with Ober. On the day that Grand Duke Christopher was ordered to return to the headquarters of the Eluang Knights, Elias received an imperial certificate acknowledging that he formally succeeded Duke Hubble's title.

The Elior Mansion was busy earlier on that day.

Marianne put a puzzle together with Roxanne who visited the mansion and drank tea.

Mrs. Renault, who cleared the air after hearing from Jed about the situation, visited Duke Kling on the day he came back home early and had dinner with him. On the day the Grand Duke returned to the Knights, Rane brought a big cake to commemorate his uncle's innocence.

Of course, she ate about three-quarters of the cake.

The person Ober promised to send to Marianne sooner or later came three days after he made the promise. It was Arnette, Mrs. Chester's maid. She visited the mansion, making excuses of delivering Mrs. Chester's gift. Pretending to serve Marianne with Cordelli, she pointed out Ober's moles planted in the mansion directly. There were a total of eight moles hiding in the mansion, including the garden maid, Eve. In the afternoon, she entered the Lucio Palace and met seven hidden moles.

"Are there only seven moles in the Imperial Palace?"

"No, there are many more, but you don't have to memorize all of their names and know their faces. It's probably enough to know only those who are placed in the spaces you usually visit."

Marianne could read faint disbelief in her answer but did not express it.

Annette said that the informant was called Roeth, and the assassin was called Kiara among them. And she gave Marianne a token to use when she wanted to order them. The ring made of clean silver had a snake-shaped decoration carved from obsidian.

Marianne wore the ring on her little finger. Although she never mentioned the width of her little finger, it fit perfectly. She felt goosebumps.

While Marianne was meeting several people, the clouds over Roshan's sky grew thicker.

The drizzle everywhere brought together thunder and lightning in the distant lands.

The rain clouds covering the sun for several days gathered throughout the capital.

The weather was cloudy on the day when Marianne visited Eckart.

"If you really want to start rehabilitation, please do so. Your arm can become stiffened if you don't use it for too long. "

In the parlour located inside his residence there were candles here and there, even though it was broad daylight. Outside the dim window, the ever-increasing rain struck the window panes.