Chapter 69

"Mother!"

Eckart replied slowly. He felt that his mother's bright smile was strange to him.

"Let's hurry up now. The Emperor is waiting."

Blair persuaded him kindly and pulled his arm.

When he turned his eyes a little, he saw Emperor Cassius standing at the entrance of the garden. As always, he was majestic, fluttering a golden cloak embroidered with Brenda and laurel branches. When their eyes met, he raised his hand as if he was beckoning him to come up. There was a coy smile on the emperor's face.

After hesitating a bit, Eckart took a step. His heavy steps started to move as Blair led him. Though he didn't know why, he felt he had to. He thought he should not be stubborn.

"Your Majesty!"

At that moment, he felt somebody grabbing his arms suddenly.

"Please don't go!"

He didn't know where she suddenly appeared, but the woman was crying and hanging on him.

The woman looked like a noblewoman of a similar age. She looked terrible. Her dark chocolate-colored hair was messed up and her emerald eyes were trembling with pain.

"Please, Your Majesty. Don't go! You shouldn't go. Please, don't go!"

Her desperate hands pulled his arm opposite of Blair. While Emperor Cassius was standing there, she dared to call Eckart the emperor rudely.

Eckart frowned. Although he was the only child of Cassius and Blair, and he was crowned prince a long time ago, she could not call him the emperor because the incumbent emperor Cassius was still alive. As it was certain for him to succeed the throne, calling him the emperor would be regarded as very dangerous treason.

"Karl, you'll be late. Hurry up!"

Nevertheless, Blair hurried again with a calm expression as if the woman was invisible. She intimately folded his arms and pulled his shoulders. But as Blair tightened her grip on his arms, Eckart's arm held by that woman slipped out.

"You promised to protect me!"

The woman who missed his hand sat down and yelled.

Although the woman was very desperate, she strangely did not follow. Instead, she cried like a child. Her shoulders were shaking miserably.

While being led away by Blair, he kept looking back.

He thought he had to listen to her mother, but he really hated leaving the woman alone there.

If Blair's words were as strict as the god, that woman's words were infinitely weak and emotional. Of course, it was right for him to abandon the latter. Isn't the emperor god's agent who forgets his personal greed and chooses the cause?

Aside from such a significant meaning, those who guided him were both his father and emperor Cassius and mother Queen Blair. The only two family members closest to him in this world who were bound by blood.

But he found it more and more troublesome to turn away from that woman. Her bitter cries resonated into his ears strongly.

Who could she be? He did not know why she was crying, nor did he know what he had promised to her. Nevertheless, he was heartbroken as if his heart was split in half.

Every time he walked one step, he seemed to have thousands of thorns stuck on his toes.

While he hesitated, his distance from the woman gradually increased.

Eckart took turns looking at his mother's back and the woman crying from behind.

Bark, bark!

Discarding its favorite silk ball, Alt was running toward him, barking fiercely, as if the assassin's blade was right behind its back.