Chapter 168

Eckart was willing to pay whatever price he had to, and he never wanted anyone to understand his complicated feelings. In order to endure this terrible life, he took a lot of goods and lives, and at the same time, he reflected on a passage from the discipline of kingship that stated there was no shame for the monarch. He pushed a sense of abominable guilt into the deep unseen place in his heart. He felt it was his responsibility to endure it all by himself.

So, he was not supposed to be comforted by her kind words like this.

He thought so, but he touched the letters of the letter unconsciously as if he wanted to drink up every drop of Marianne's undeserved affection.

He reached the end of the rather long letter.

Eckhart frowned a bit. He couldn't even figure out what gift he would receive by putting the parrot on his finger.

Anyway, it was what Maryanne requested. After he was done justifying his actions, Eckhart hesitated a bit before reaching out to Poibe.

Poibe trotted around the documents, tilted its head once and jumped onto his finger. When he carefully bent his arms and placed it near his face, Poibe opened his beak and began to imitate Marianne's voice.

"Your Majesty. Did you really do what I told you?"

He blushed when Poibe asked in a teasing voice. It sounded as if she was teasing him with a hearty laugh, with her green eyes sparkling. Even though the owner of the voice was not there, he felt ashamed.

"If you are listening to this voice, I will be very happy."

But the words that followed quickly took away his sense of shame.

"I miss you, Your Majesty."

Her lovely and sweet voice penetrated his heart.

After it was done imitating her words, Poibe leaned forward. Its smooth beak gently touched his closed lips and briefly stayed there as if to convey her breath.

Eckart stiffened for a while after Poibe carried out its job and flew back out the window.

He grasped and opened his empty hand several times. His engagement ring reflected the afternoon sun. After pondering over the promise he had shared with her, he eventually pulled his hand closer to his face.

He kissed the golden Kimmel ring warmly. It was an answer he wanted to convey to her.

* * *

The next morning, Marianne left the Elior Mansion and headed for Duke Hubble's mansion.

As she was visiting there to express condolences, she was dressed more plainly than usual. Her dress, gloves, shoes and the veil on the hat were all black. After picking up a black lace fan, she rode in her wagon, accompanied by Mrs. Charlotte and Cordelli.

The wagon was simple because it was stripped of its roof decorations and insignia. The uniformed Eluang Knights followed her wagon, escorting it from all directions. Only Iric was dressed in Astolf's formal uniform, and his black cloak fluttered behind him like a bannerol.

Her wagon soon entered the Hubble mansion's courtyard. Marianne got out, helped by the two who accompanied her. Before the horseman and knights returned to their place, she signalled to Iric gently. Irick responded by nodding once instead of kneeling before her.

The unspoken promise shared by the two was kept right away.

Shortly after Marianne's party left for the main building, a white parrot flew silently among the knights as they left her.