Chapter 9

She couldn't believe her eyes when she heard that Ober would be absent for some time. His absence was a golden opportunity for her, though it was a pity that he left behind two of his watchers disguised as deputies. But it couldn't be more fortunate for her that she didn't have to pretend to overreact before him for the time being.

Marianne felt depressed again because she didn't find any good or realistic way to get out of his clutches, though it was fortunate that he would disappear from her father's territories for the time being.

While moving her steps mechanically, she kept racking her brain to get rid of him.

As the future in this world seemed to be variable, there was no guarantee that Ober would certainly rebel against her father.

As the lord of the wealthy Chester Castle, he was already a key player in the world of aristocrats. Was there any reason as to why he was trying to get credit from the Kling family?

No matter how much she thought about it, she concluded the only reason for that was his ambition for the expansion of his power.

Accordingly, his plan would still be valid, including his wicked trick on her.

But she thought to herself, 'This guy cheated the world for many years to take away the emperor's throne. What if he moved prematurely and ended up being removed earlier than my father? He wouldn't be able to ask anybody for help. I don't know how much he can change with his own efforts.'

She barely held back a sigh coming up in her throat.

In fact, the biggest problem facing her was that she could not tell this whole story to anyone.

She knew even her father, who could be her most powerful ally, was not of help to her. Given the propensity of her father to overprotect her, it was too obvious that he would try to stop her from being entangled with a dangerous thing.

'What if my father were injured by the impatient Ober more seriously than in his previous life while trying to overpower him on my behalf?'

She crossed off one option. Eventually, she would have to rely on the power of her family, but she didn't want to have her father fight with him from the beginning.

'What should I do? Can I survive? How can I beat this guy who wants to be the emperor? No one would believe this wild story. Even if I try to entice him, I need some plausible excuse. I can't tell him anything properly.'

At that moment, she recalled a long word once again.

'... Emperor?'

There was someone who would be hurt as much as her in his veiled plan: the nominal ruler who had absolute power in the empire and the only stranger who should regard this work as his own. Perhaps he was the man who could be her best ally.

* * *

The next day, Ober returned to Chester, his territory.

As soon as she heard it from Hugo, the butler, she sent him on an errand.

She put the letter in the dressing table carelessly, which Ober handed her shortly before he left, and wandered around her room nervously. Cordelli, who came in to bring tea for her, saw her and asked if she was sick before leaving the room.

Hugo, who was sent on a "quick and secret" errand, carried out her order nicely, befitting his famed working style. Less than an hour after he was given her order, he returned with the results.

"Iric!"

Shouting at him, she ran to the door with a happy look. The big shadow that followed Hugo showed its due manners. It knelt down along with his silver armor jangling on the red carpet.