Chapter 95

"If Mrs. Chester had determined the culprit of this accident, I intend to use that investigation method at the risk of getting many people involved."

"But Mrs. Chester did not answer your question clearly, so you don't have to carry out meaningless killing, right?" she asked.

"Yes, I ruled out that option without any reservation. The true culprit couldn't have done the sloppy job of making his name famous by using several servants if he had had planned this without letting her know."

Considering that, she seemed to figure out the likely culprit among many suspects. Mrs. Chester was a powerful figure who could be singled out as one of the top three anti-emperor figures.

Accordingly, there were only one or two political giants who could plan such a scheme after keeping her out of the loop. While reviewing the names of those figures that Eckart deeply suspected, Marianne corrected her posture as if she had decided something.

"Is it because you thought it would be hard to find the true culprit that you excluded the Grand Duke from the investigation team?"

"... I didn't know you could find it out. "

"I'm not that stupid. Master Julia told me that if I had attended the academy, I would have been placed top at least twice."

"Oh, sorry I didn't know you were a diamond in the rough," Eckart answered, grinning at her, thinking she was probably the only woman who could be so arrogant at the emperor's praise.

Meanwhile, Marianne touched her hair with her lips closed as if she was wrestling with some problems. Her head tilted to the right and the left respectively, and then she shut her mouth.

"Your Excellency!"

Eckart looked at her when she called.

"You mentioned a little while ago that it would be faster to look for those who we didn't have to doubt rather than those who look suspicious, right?"

"Right."

"Then, I'm one of those who you don't have to doubt, right?"

Eckart hesitated for a moment at her unexpected question.

"If you wanted to hurt me, you wouldn't have shared the carriage with me. And you wouldn't have had to wake me up after I crashed. And you wouldn't have had to help me maintain my body temperature at the risk of your life."

He studied her expression as if to read her intention, and then added a long explanation.

When he was almost done, Curtis and Kloud changed their facial expressions.

"Of course, I can't rule out the possibility that you might have calculated such a strategy..."

Eckart bit his lower lip without finishing his words.

In his head, he already knew the answer. But he wanted to doubt her to the end because there was no goodwill without any condition.

'If she really wanted to harm me, she would have considered other methods."

Above all, he could not ignore what he saw, heard, or felt directly. Pounding herbs and picking green fruit with her scratched hands and checking his body temperature could not be all fake. When she was upset about him, complaining that he didn't tell her early on, or when she expressed concern about the scars on his back, she was sincere.

If all her actions were fake, he could not keep her alive for long.

"I don't want to believe your tears and oath were false," Eckart said, looking at her coldly.