- 5 -

Introducing our hero - Edward Ryan

Liam hemsworth as Edward Ryan.

Edward Ryan's pov..

" Doc you are needed in the ICU immediately. The intern's couldn't handle and the accident patient is unable to breathe"said max panting heavily. Probably because of running from the other end to reach here.

" Ok " I said running to attend the patient. Eva, Max and Ana are nurses in my ER department.

15 mins later...

After checking the vitals once again, I exited the room followed by my interns James and Sandra .

"Can't you handle this simple emergency ? I don't know what you people learnt. Where are they Steve and Amelia? "

" They are ....attending an operation... headed ...by doctor Linda " she stammered looking down, I could see she was afraid to face me. I feel like a monster when people get afraid seeing me. I am not a person who get angry easily but I just can't tolerate some things when it comes to work as it's matter of life.

" Look, I need you both to revise the notes which I gave you and you need to brief it tomorrow " I said and walked to grab a coffee.

I'm badly in need for a short break as I didn't have anything from morning. I always loved the coffee from Maria's shop which is next to the hospital. As I walked down the stairs

" Looks like someone is going to Maria's without me " a voice came from behind then reached my side.

" I didn't know you are this free. Do some work John instead of being available 24/7 "

"Come on, man. You won't leave a even a small gap to mock me. Do you ? Ok, What is my babe doing ?

" Linda is in the operation room"I said and we walked towards the shop.

John and Linda are my best buddies. We met during the medical school.We were in the same class, same intern but John chose pediatrics at last. Linda and me in ER. They both loved each other right from our third year med school and then got married few years back. Now, they have a beautiful angel, Sofia who is three years old. John has a perfect family and am lucky to be a part of their life.

As Soon as we entered the shop
" Good noon my dears, I was just thinking about you when I made today's special chocolate waffles" Maria greeted us joyfully.

Maria is around her 60s and runs this shop of years. She is famous in this area and when many new buildings were constructed,they tried to grab her land too. But she was determined not to sell her shop and there she continues to run it till now. We three are one of her regular customers and never she treated us as one but as her grandchildren.

"Good noon maria..wow...we can't wait to have the waffles ..I will have it with Expresso" john hugged her and sat in the chair round the corner. It is our regular spot.

"Good noon Maria.I will have the regular coffee and by the way how is your knee pain? Is it any better?"I asked and sat opposite to John.

"Now its better Ryan. The medicine is doing wonders. See am able to walk like a teenager" she laughed and went to get our orders. I turned towards john and said

"John, today you need to pay Sofia's nursery fee and pick her up early"

" Shit, I totally forgot about the fees. I will leave early then. Ryan, Linda told me to call you for dinner tonight and you know you can't refuse" he said while the waitress served our orders.

" Yah, I know that I can't refuse but am wondering what would be her plan this time as you know she would not do anything special without a motive behind"
I said sipping my coffee. The coffee instantly relaxes my tiredness. How much ever tired we are, just a cup of coffee is enough to revive our energy.

" You will know when you come " he chuckled. We finished having fast

" Maria, thanks for the wonderful coffee we need to go and don't forget to continue the medicine for the next two days "

" I will continue it Ryan. Bye John and come with Linda next time" she said and we came out of the shop again to the busy streets and life.

After that I had to see two more emergency cases and later at night to finish the day I called the interns to my room.

I have a habit of noting down the cases I saw today and I was in the verge of completing it when I heard my interns knocking the door.

"Come in "

" Doc we have written the reports of the cases we saw today " Steve came forward and handed over the reports..

" I will check it and give the feedback tomorrow. I need you all to remember again in ER every second is important while attending the patient. I have given you the topics and notes. Go through it and I need you individually to brief it tomorrow morning. Come early before one hr so that we can finish the theory and move on to see the patients" I said sternly

"Yes and thank you doc " the four said in unison and went out.

I relax to my chair. Today was a long day. I have been seeing patients continuously from morning. I looked at the clock it was 8.30 pm and I need to go the John house. I grabbed my car keys from the table and headed towards the parking lot. I unlocked my car and started driving home. Working in ER is hectic, it requires patience and concentration among all the noises. ER department is always packed noisy and busy in the whole hospital. Everytime, we have to be alert as there will be emergency cases frequently coming. Inspite of all these I love my job. I always wanted to be a doctor right from my childhood.

My phone started buzzing, without looking at the caller id I already know it was from my Mom. She called me daily at this time.

"Hi mom " I said weakly in tiredness.

"Edward, what happened? Your voice shows that you are weak and tired. Did you eat today ? Just tell me the truth" said with concern

"Mom...I didn't have time to have lunch.I had toast and milk in morning and am heading to John's for dinner. They have invited me and am just tired, nothing else "

" Look Son, you need to eat well.I have told you many times and you aren't listening. You know am worried about your health "

"Sorry mom, I am trying .Ok.. I will eat from now on" I promised.My family is my everything. My dad and mom are just perfect couples with successful marriage for years and I really admire them a lot.

I will continue the convo in next chapter.Finally, I have introduced Ryan. What do you think about Edward Ryan ?

~ 1175 words ~