Part 1

Andrea shakes the rain drops out of her large black jacket and hangs it on the coat rack with everyone else's jackets and boots. She kicks off her boots quickly and slips into a pair of black flats to match her black slacks, white button down shirt and black vest. She walks into the kitchen and picks up her order pad and signature DaLucca pen. She goes to stand behind another about 12 waiters and waitresses. Sigurd comes up in front of the group and gives Andrea a smile. She's been working at the DaLucca restaurant for 2 weeks now and is finally going to be serving alone instead of as a shadow.

Sigurd starts in his very thick Norwegian accent "Hey everyone it's a Friday night at the DaLucca. We're booked out yet again. If you can keep up we may be able to squeeze some late patrons in which means more tips for you guys. Take a look at your pads there are 4 choices for tonight. There's also an updated wine list. Be professional and proficient. Good luck ladies and gentlemen." Sigurd smiles.

Sigurd is a friend of Andrea's from college. They met when she was a freshman in college and he was a junior working in the tutoring center for business majors. He helped her get through many hours of business calculus. They've been friends ever since. When she decided to leave her internship at Macaroy and Associates because of a too handsy boss, Sigurd offered her a job at DaLucca. "It's not an office but it's a good job love. The schedule is flexible and it's good experience. I'll get you to waitress and help me with the finances. It may not look as good as an internship at Macaroy on your resume but working at the DaLucca carries the Mariano name and that will help." She sat that day in his apartment sobbing. Sigurd's boy friend Benjamin holding her as she cried. Her boss had cornered her in his office and told her if she slept with him while she was interning that once she graduated she'd be guaranteed a plushy job with a window office. He began to grab her ass with his arms around her. She slammed her foot into his toes and kicked him where the sun doesn't shine and ran like hell. Rolley one of the men that she had been working with followed her out. "Andy I'm so sorry. We should've warned you about going into his office. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. If you need a letter of recommendation contact me." Rolley handed her his card. "I'm assuming that you're leaving us now. You're the 3rd intern this year we've had leave because of that man. They all dropped out and went to other schools not in New York. Don't leave Columbia it's an excellent opportunity. You'll do good Andy. I'm sorry." She took his card.
"Thank you" was all she could muster. "Wait my bag! My stuff" she began to panic. She really didn't want to go back in there. "It's ok. I'll go get it for you." Rolley walks inside and 5 minutes later comes out with her bag with everything in it. "Thank you Rolley. I really appreciate it." She said with her head down. Rolley lifts her head up with his fingers under her chin and looks her in the eyes "Andy don't let this destroy you. You're smart, you're driven and you have what it take to make it here. I will vouch for you."

She's greatful to Rolley and Sigurd. She's in her final semester of school and had already started applying to positions around the city. But in the mean time DaLucca does fine. Everyone starts listening to Chef Jason as he begins to explain the menu. After, everyone goes to the their stations and waits for Sigurd to unlock the doors.

The doors open and the vibe of the restaurant changes quickly from just a room to one of the chicest restaurants in New York. Each table has its own waiter or waitress. Guests check in with the hostess and then get shown to their table. The bartender comes and asks what sort of taste they're looking for. You can ask for tropical with pineapple and he'll come up with the most amazing cocktail with fresh fruit in a tiki glass. You can ask for sex in a glass and he'll bring a red martini that feels like an explosion in your mouth. He can do anything and everything. If no drinks are ordered we then go in and tell them the menu for the night. We wait in the side of the restaurant that's dimmly lit and we wait for something to need to be refilled, food to be ready, a plate get pushed away or any sign that a patron may need us. The point is to be almost invisible. On average we have about 4 parties per waiter in a single night. Most of the time it's only 2 people per party. It's an average of $100 a party in tips. We are lucky we get $10 an hour as servers. Her monthly averags of check are $3,974.40. More than 1/2 her paycheck goes to rent in a small 2 bedroom apartment that she splits with her roommate from her undergrad years. Tonight is a good night though after the tip pool is split evenly amongst the servers and the bartenders she's coming home with $600. On the weekends high rollers like to come in and blow a bunch of money on food just to impress their most recent girl. Chef makes little boxes of food if he has anything left over for his servers. So Andrea grabs herself a mystery box and jumps on the bus and arrives at her apartment. It's late in NYC and dark so she makes her way quickly to the doors of the lobby and walks up 6 flights of stairs to her home away from home.

Her roommate Stacey, lounges on they're one couch that faces the windows. The windows lead to a patio that they've put plants and wind chimes and bird stuff on. These are the only windows in the entire apartment. They've decorated the apartment in a western/farmhouse vibe. Andrea brought the western aztec vibe from South Texas and Stacey brought the farmhouse from her home of Tennessee.

Stacey is a drop dead gorgeous blonde with curves for days. She is staring interested out the window. "Anything interesting from the windows today?" Andrea askes as she slips off her rain boots at the door.

"Our pigeon brought his girlfriend over and she pooped all over the plants. Also it looks like in row 3 we've got a new hottie moving in. I've been dreaming about the perfect meeting between the 2 of us." Stacey says hopping off the couch and prancing over and peaking inside the togo container that came from DaLucca.

"If you don't want what's in this container then stick it in the fridge. I made tater tot casserole." She says turning her nose up unsure what chef had put in the container. Andrea laughs "I'll eat whatever chef gave me and I'll eat tater tot casserole for lunch tomorrow."

"Suit yourself" Stacey says and plops back down on the couch. I plop next to her with a fork and I start attacking the chicken that Chef Jason has so nicely packed away. Even to go for the wait staff was fancy.

Andrea pulls up her lap top and begins studying while noshing when her phone vibrates and "fireball" by Pitbull comes on. She answers and all the video is a shadow with loud music and lights flashing.

"Hola Miguel" I smile.

"Hola mi amor. What it's a friday is that a lap top and studying I see. Girl I told you! You have to go out. I told you more than once to come to school in Mexico. New York is too far. It's hard for me to take care of you from here. Mi amor por favor go out meet a man bring him home. Smash papas and live a little." She quickly runs to her room petrified.

"Miguel I'm fine. I just got off work and I'm working on my thesis. Oh by the way I've gotten the ok to be off for 3 weeks in December. I'm coming home." I say checking my calendar. "I'll be on a plane headed to San Antonio to see my parents." She says annunciating so he can hear her.

"I already spoke to your Mama. You're getting on a plane and headed to Cozumel once you get to San Antonio. We're going to relax and drink and have a good time in Playa! Pack lots of swimsuits make them sexy. Latino men like sexy american women. You're mama and Daniel will be coming the first weekend as well after that they'll head back and see you the week of Christmas. Mama and I will be in Del Rio as well so we can all spend time together." Miguel smirks.

"Haha ok Miguel" she laughs. Another feminine figure starts dancing with Miguel.

"Miguel I'll talk to you in the morning. I have studying to do. I love you adios."

"Adios Andy!" Miguel shouts over the music.

Miguel is Andrea's best friend from home. They met in Kindergarten when his parents decided they wanted him to have an american education. They've been best friends ever since. Some would even say that they were more than friends. Perhaps they had been a little more from time to time but nothing serious. When they were in high school her boy friend had dumped her the week after he took her V card. Andrea was devastated. Miguel was so angry she had to keep him from killing and burying him on the Mexico side of his ranch. Miguel took her spring break to Playa del Carmen and they spent all week drunk on the beach. The last night there they had gone to a club and gotten wasted and the next morning they were tangled up in his bed. It's happened a few more times after that but the next morning they both decide that it was better if they were just friends. A lot of it has to do with him being the head of one of the largest cartel families in Mexico. His father died when they were freshmen at Columbia and he went back to Mexico and enrolled in a business school in Mexico City. Yes, if he doesn't like her boyfriend he'll be over protective and hang all over her but the ones he likes he doesn't play mind games with. So far Miguel is the best sex she's ever had. He definitely knows his way around a girl. Not like these New Yorkers that it's more like a smash and grab. New York men are terrible at sex to be quite honest. Southern men understand that southern women like some fore play but jeez New Yorkers get in and out quick.

Andrea goes back to the couch and Stacey just starts laughing at her "Omg I love Miguel!" Andrea throws a pillow at her and they both go back to their computers.