Xue Yang's Sacrifice

Warning: this chapter is filled with angst. So watch out. It might just make you cry 😭

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xue Yang felt fear for the first time in his life since he'd lost his parents as a child. He felt as though he were moving at a very slow pace. Time seemed to stand still as he ran to her. He had to save her. He stopped momentarily as she looked back at him. There was no fear in her eyes - only trust. He threw himself forward just as the monster was attacking, shoving her out of the way, his sword drawn. It was his duty to protect her, so he only did it out of instinct, right? That had to be it!

The monster slashed through the sword, shattering it into pieces. It roared. The road was heard throughout the mountains, causing avalanches and landslides. Xue Yang had never met one as powerful as this. His heart raced with fear which turned into excitement. "My Queen. Run. Run far away from here and don't return! Go back to Cloud Recesses!" The queen hesitated for a moment. She didn't want to leave him. He turned to her. "I'll be fine. Go!" She began running back in the direction of Cloud Recesses, but she stopped and turned around.

He was watching her. He said something to her. She couldn't make out what it was. He turned back, facing the monster. "Alright, Beast! It's just you and me! Bring it on!"

She ran away from there. She met the three males just outside the gate. "Xue Yang! You have to help him!" she spoke frantically. The three were confused. "Please!" she begged. "He's in danger! The monster he's fighting is too powerful! It might kill him!" Another roar rang through the air, shaking the ground.

Xichen: "Don't worry, Miss. We were headed that way anyway."

Wei Ying and Lan Zhan watched her. "Show us the way," he spoke up. She looked at him in surprise and pointed in the direction of where she ran from. "Xichen, you watch her."

Queen: "I'm coming too!" Wei Ying gave her a skeptical look. Then he smiled.

Wei Ying: "Well, hurry up then!" She was relieved and followed behind them. She stumbled a couple of times, but her determination outlasted her exhausted state.

When they arrived, Xue Yang was in the midst of battle. "Xue Yang!" she called to him. He looked over for just a moment. The monster slashed his arm, throwing him against a tree. She ran to him. "Xue Yang!"

Xue Yang: "Stay back! This one is mine!" The sword split in two. A devilish grin crossed his face. He was having fun! Wei Ying and Lan Zhan watched as he battled the monster without loosing a beat. Xue Yang was laughing the entire time.

Everyone watched in horror as blood flew from his arm where he'd been wounded. He didn't care though. He would keep going until he died. The beast struck once more, this time successfully pinning him down. It growled, saliva dripping from its huge maw. That's when Wei Ying and Lan Zhan moved in. "Hey! I told you this is my prey!"

Wei Ying: "We don't care! You can't take this thing down by yourself!"

Xue Yang successfully released himself from the monster's iron hold. The creature was preoccupied with the two new intruders. Then a third person popped in. It was Xichen! "Is everyone after my prey!? Damn it! Fuck off! This is my kill!" No one listened to him, so he shrugged. "Hell with it! Let's have some fun!" He was back in the action.

Xue Yang felt something was wrong. The beast was weakening, but there was something more to it. Then he realized what it was. "Everyone watch it! He's emitting poisonous fumes!" Everyone stepped back, covering their faces to block out the fumes. Xue Yang didn't however.

Wei Ying: "What about you? Why don't you cover your face?"

Xue Yang grinned evilly. "My friend, this poison does not bother me in the least. I can stand it for a time. So stay there while I finish this creature off!" He attacked once more. The fumes grew stronger the weaker the monster grew. Xue Yang knew he didn't have much time, so with one final swift movement of his blade, he sliced the monster's head off. Everyone could see the severity of the poison as it melted into the cold air.

Xue Yang turned around with a cheeky grin on his face. "As I said: my kill." He felt very dizzy. He took one step and fell to the ground unable to move. The queen rushed to his side, forgetting all about the poisonous fumes being emitted into the open air.

Queen: "Xue Yang! Xue Yang! Don't leave me! Wake up!"

Xue Yang barely managed to open his eyes. "You fool," he laughed. "I told you not to come back. Now, look at you. You're a mess." He gently caressed her cheek. "I guess you won't be alone anymore." He laughed. The laughing turned to coughing. Blood dripped from his mouth, down his chin. "Do me a favor and take care of yourself. I just want you to know, I didn't mean what I said. I...I'm not good with expressing my emotions. It's easier for me to reject people than to accept them. I want you to know how much...how much I love you."

The queen watched as he kissed her one last time. His eyes closed, and he was no longer breathing. "No! Xue Yang! No! Please! Wake up! You have to wake up! No..." She was begging him, but it was too late. Xue Yang was gone.

Wei Ying was crying his eyes out, watching the scene. He couldn't help it. Lan Zhan held him. Xichen turned away. He couldn't imagine leaving Jiang Cheng like that.

Needless to say, the funeral that week was a lonely one. The queen was all alone again with no one to love her. She wore the mourning clothes for a long time afterward. One day, she was dressed in her own attire. She was thinking about something as she walked up to the Lanshi. The door immediately opened.

Wei Ying was staring at her. "Oh, it's you! You're dressed normally! Come in!" She shook her head. Wei Ying wondered why.

Queen: "I'm heading back to my home. I don't know what I'll do once I'm there, but...maybe I will find someone who will love me just as much as Xue Yang did. I only came to say goodbye. I hope we meet again someday." She turned around to leave. She felt a pull as she was suddenly hugged from behind.

The voice which spoke to her was none other than Qiren. "Stay. You know, I really love your hugs. I could use a daughter like you." The queen blushed.

Queen: "I hate to tell you, but I'm way older than you think."

Qiren chuckled. "Does that really matter? I still need someone like you, so...won't you stay?"

The queen burst into tears. Only this time, she was very happy. It seemed like everything ended the way it should.