The Couple Takes a Trip

Lan Zhan had taken Xichen up on his offer to take a few days break from his duties. Wei Ying was feeling much better. His belly still hurt some, but he could at least walk around. Xichen had taken it upon himself to care for the children while the couple was gone.

Xichen: "Have a safe journey!" He waved to them goodbye. He turned to the crying Lan Xue. "Don't worry, Buddy! We're going to have so much fun! They'll return after a few days. In the meantime, you're going to be staying with your Uncle Xichen!"

Lan Xue: "*Sob* Why couldn't I go with them? *Sob*" he asked through the tears.

Xichen found the crying rather adorable. "I tell you what: if you behave, which I know you always do, then I will take you to a place you've never been before." He booped the child's nose with his finger. "Come on," he said, lifting Lan Xue into his arms. "Let's go bother Uncle Qiren. He has your sisters after all." Lan Xue nodded. The crying had stopped as he was distracted by the thought of his sisters. "That's better." Xichen wiped the dried tears away. "Let's go see Lan Meigui and Lan Baihe." At that, Lan Xue smiled brightly and began kicking from excitement. Xichen only smiled and chuckled at his nephew's behavior. The little boy really was rather adorable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lan Zhan and Wei Ying flew for some time before landing in the area Lan Zhan wanted his husband to see. Lan Zhan had to carry him since the boy was still too weak to fly with his own sword. By the time they reached their destination, Wei Ying had fallen asleep from the relaxing ride.

Lan Zhan carried him to an inn, payed for a single room, and laid the boy to bed. As soon as he did, Wei Ying's eyes fluttered open. "Lan Zhan, where are we?" he asked, stifling a yawn.

Lan Zhan: "Will find out tomorrow." He kissed his husband's forehead. "Will go for food. Stay in bed." Wei Ying pouted at that. He hated - no, he despised - having to stay in bed, unless he was sleeping of course. Lan Zhan kissed him one more time. "Stay in bed," he repeated. Then he went to fetch the food.

Wei Ying: "Lan Zhan is up to something," he spoke aloud to himself, "and I need to find out what it is before we leave here." A mischievous grin crossed his face. He knew exactly how he would extract the information from his husband once he returned. It was fool proof! Or so he thought.

Lan Zhan returned after only a few minutes had passed. Wei Ying was sitting up in bed. His posture told the other he was thinking hard on something. "Wei Ying," he called to the other gently. Despite the gentle tone, Wei Ying still jumped, startled from his thoughts.

Wei Ying: "Oh, Lan Zhan! It's you! When did you return? Nevermind that! Where's the food?"

Lan Zhan sighed. He knew his husband was up to something. "Just returned. Innkeeper will deliver food to us." He sat on the bed, facing his husband. "What was Wei Ying pondering?"

Wei Ying was caught now, but he still continued with his act. "Oh, nothing really. I was only wondering: are we going on a night hunt or something? We couldn't have flown all this way for nothing."

Lan Zhan sighed. "Surprise for you. Wait."

Now Wei Ying was wondering what the surprise could be. However, Lan Zhan told him to wait. On the other hand, Wei Ying couldn't keep his curiosity from spilling over, and he needed to know at that very moment just what the surprise was! "Lan Zhan, tell me!" Lan Zhan only stared at him. "Come on! You've piqued my interest, so now I need to know!" He gave the other puppy dog eyes. It didn't work as Lan Zhan turned away from him.

Lan Zhan: "Wait." It was spoken with a finality. He went to the table, sat down and read. Wei Ying pouted. He wanted to know right then and there, but the 'fuddy-duddy' told him to wait.

A knock on the door sounded some time later. Lan Zhan answered it. "Here is your food, Masters." Wei Ying looked at the food. It was all spicy and red. There was even wine set on the table. Wei Ying wondered why his husband would not want something bland for himself nor any tea. The boy twiddled his thumbs as he watched Lan Zhan pick up a piece of spicy meat and eat it.

Lan Zhan noticed him staring and asked, "What's wrong?"

Wei Ying realized what he'd been doing, so to hide his embarrassment he replied, "Nothing! I just want someone to have a drink with." Lan Zhan pushed the bowl over to him so it could be filled. "Are you really going to drink with me?" Wei Ying asked. "Don't you think this is a little too much special attention for me?" He gave the bowl to Lan Zhan, then poured himself some of the wine. Lan Zhan drank it in one go. Wei Ying waited for something to happen. At first there was nothing, but then, slowly, Lan Zhan began to feel dizzy. Wei Ying counted down from eight, and by the time he hit one, Lan Zhan had fallen asleep.

Works every time! Wei Ying thought to himself, amused. He took a closer look at his husband. Granted he'd seen his face before, but now he could really have a close look at it. (He'd forgotten about the time he had a fever, and Lan Zhan had taken care of him). Long eyelashes all perfectly fanned out on smooth eyelids. Small puffs of air were heard leaving his plush pink lips. Even his nose was the perfect shape to match his face. He really was the image of a god carved from jade, especially with those bright golden eyes.

Wait! Lan Zhan was staring at him! "Lan Zhan! You're AWAKE!" The last word was hollered as he was pinned to the floor. "Wait, Lan Zhan! I'm still recovering from surgery, remember?" Lan Zhan stared at him, but did not release him. "How about we take a bath instead?" Wei Ying suggested. It looked as if Lan Zhan was thinking about it. Wei Ying wasn't exactly released. Rather, Lan Zhan had lifted him into his arms and carried him to the divider. However, there was no bath. "Lan Zhan, allow me to call for a bath." Lan Zhan finally released Wei Ying. Instead, he took his forehead ribbon and tied it around the boy's wrist. The other end was tied to his own wrist.

Wei Ying sighed. "It's not as if I can go anywhere. You don't need to tie me up." He gave up after Lan Zhan refused to untie the band. Wei Ying went to the door, followed by Lan Zhan, and called for a servant to bring them a bath. He looked at his husband. Lan Zhan was breathing heavily because of the alcohol. Goodness, Lan Zhan! How much of a lightweight are you that you can't handle a small amount of wine? Pfft! I love you, you fuddy-duddy! A smile found its way to his face. Out of impulse, Wei Ying kissed his husband.