𝐈.𝐈

CAPTAIN

Darla leant against the wall of the gym and watched as Steve continuously hit the punch bag until it came off of the hook and slammed into the wall.

She admired as he leant down to pick up another punch bag and hook it on. Just before he was going to hit it, Darla spoke up.

"You should take a break." She stood up straight and walked over to the man."You've been at that for hours."

"Trouble sleeping?" Fury questioned as he walked over to the pair. He needed to talk to them both.

He thought it would be easier to get the two together and talk about the Tesseract as a group rather than tackling them both separately. Plus, Fury wanted to know if Steve would join their mission and the best person to tell Fury that would be Darla.

"I slept for 70 years, Sir. I think I've had my fill." Steve shrugged and continued to hit the punch bag.

"That's crazy, you don't look a day over 30." Darla said sarcastically as she held the punch bag still for the man introducing herself, "Darla Dyers."

Steve looked across at the girl. His blue eyes flickered up and down her body, taking in her appearance. Her blonde hair framed her face perfectly and sat just below her shoulders, her green eyes sparkled as she flashed him a smile.

"Steve Rogers." He said extending his hand for the girl to shake, which she happily did.

"Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world." Fury walked closer to the blondes. Steve's eyes hadn't left Darla's bright green ones.

"When I went under, the world was at war." Steve said as he began to unravel the bandages from around his knuckles. "I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost."

Darla sat on the bench beside Steve's gym bag. She pulled her legs up to her chest and rested her head on her knees as she listened to Fury talk.

"We've made some mistakes along the way. Some, very recently." Fury nodded in agreement.

"Are you here with a mission, Sir?" Steve questioned curiously, his eyes flickering between Fury and Darla.

The blonde girl hadn't spoken much, she kept herself to herself beside a few comments. She sparked an interest in Steve, he wanted to know more about her. Who she was, why she was there.

"I am." Fury nodded.

"Trying to get me back in the world?" Steve asked as he struggled to take off his wraps. Darla placed her hand over his and he allowed her to finish removing them. "Thanks." He said flashing her a smile.

"Trying to save it." Fury opened up the file that he had being holding. Steve didn't hesitate on taking it from his grip and taking a seat beside Darla.

"HYDRA's secret weapon." Steve mumbled, he could feel the blonde looking over his shoulder at the page, which had all the information they needed to know about the Tesseract.

"Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you." Fury began to explain as Darla flicked the page, her hand brushed against Steve's as she did so, making his breath hitch slightly, but she remained calm and unbothered. "He thought what we think. The tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs."

Steve closed up the file and handed it back to Fury asking, "Who took it from you?"

"He's called Loki. He's not from around here. There's a lot we'll have to bring you up to speed on if you're in, you too Darla. The world has gotten even stranger than you already know."

"At this point, I doubt anything would surprise me." Steve said confidently, standing up.

"Ten bucks says you're wrong." Fury smirked.

"Give him ten bucks." Darla said as she nodded her head towards Fury. Steve chuckled and shook his head. The small comment made Fury smirk, knowing at some point in the next few days, he would be ten bucks richer.

"There's a debriefing packet waiting for you back at your apartment." Fury said to Steve as he walked away. "Is there anything you can tell us about the tesseract that we ought to know now?"

"You should have left it in the ocean." Steve muttered.

Fury turned to look at Darla,

"He's in." She announced confidently. "And so am I."

~

Darla sat on her bed as she flicked through the files that Fury had left for her. She made sure to lock her door so that none of her siblings would randomly burst in. Her parents were both hard at work, so whenever her siblings could they always visited.

None of her family knew that SHIELD had tried to get her to come and work for them and that was the way she wanted it to stay. She couldn't have them worrying about her constantly.

Her eyes flickered over the different files she had laid out on her bed. Each file belonged to a different person, containing certain information about their lives.

Darla couldn't help but wonder what hers said about her. What information Fury had given the others about what she had been through. She knew that he would keep certain information restricted at her request.

"D?" Briar called as he knocked on her door. "Why's your door locked?" He tried the handle once again. She furrowed her brows, he must have drove up for the weekend before Darla left. Briar had moved to New York earlier last year, leaving Darla and Elio to be the only Dyer siblings left in the house with their parents.

Darla's eyes widened as she scrambled to put the files away.

"I'm just getting changed." She shouted panicked. She slammed the draws shut and opened up her door. "What's up?" She questioned her older brother breathlessly.

"Just wanted to talk to you before you left tomorrow." Briar muttered as he walked into her room. "You know you should really start making this. You're not a kid anymore." He motioned to her unmade bed, which he ended up making.

"Blah blah blah." She rolled her eyes and picked up her bottle and took a swig of the contents. She didn't even pull a face at the strong tasting rum. She was used to it now. Plus, she had to hide the fact that she was underage drinking from her brother, who was insanely protective. "What can I help you with?"

"I just wanted to see my baby sister before she left. Is that a crime?" He questioned flopping back onto her bed.

She had told her family that her friends had surprised her with a little get away for her birthday that was coming up.

"I'm going to be gone a week at the max, chill." The blonde sat down on the bed beside her brother. She paused for a long minute.

The Dyer siblings were all close and never went more than a few days without seeing each other. It felt weird to know that she would be apart from her parents and siblings.

"I'll miss you too."