𝐕𝐈.𝐕𝐈

REMINISCING

Darla linked her hand with Steve's as she curled up on the couch beside him. His other hand was tracing patterns on her bicep as both Natasha and Briar both walked in.

The pair had become much closer over the past two years and they often spent most of their time together. Darla liked that they spent time together, they both felt at ease and happy with the other and they deserved that.

Briar sat opposite his sister and placed his arm around the back of the couch, not expecting for Natasha to sit beside him and rest her head on his shoulder.

Darla softly smiled at the pair, which didn't go unnoticed by Steve. He gave her bicep a light squeeze and nodded towards Briar. Natasha needed someone like him to ground her. To tell her that all would be okay.

"D, do you remember that time you found out that I was a cop?" Briar questioned, breaking the silence.

Darla chuckled lightly, she remembered the day vividly, despite it been years since then.

"It was my first mission." She looked up to Steve, he smiled down and pressed his lips against her forehead. "It was also the first time you met Cap." The girl lightly tapped his chest. "You were in awe at the fact that I was fighting along side the one and only, Captain America."

"Well duh, he is Captain America." Briar pointed to the man making the other three laugh.

"Do you remember when you first tried to hit on me?" Natasha questioned turning to face the man next to her.

Briar turned bright red, it was the first time that he met her. She was in his house, he didn't even realise that she was Darla's friend at first.

"Oh God, don't remind me." Briar ran his hand over his face.

"I don't know this, please tell me." Darla said she leant forward curiously.

"You had just gone to the bathroom." Natasha started with a playful smirk. "Briar was singing as he walked past your bedroom and he saw me and began to sing to me."

Darla glanced over to Briar, who had turned bright red. It made the girl chuckle.

"Then he said, 'so have I ever told you that I love red heads'." Natasha laughed, her eyes flickering to the man ever so slightly. "I'd never met anyone that bold before."

"What can I say, I saw a hot girl and I took my chance." Briar shrugged. It was a little over eight years ago since that incident, but it felt like yesterday. "Why wouldn't I try to flirt with her?"

"Hmm, I don't know." Darla raised her brows and tapped her chin as if she was thinking. "Maybe because she's my best friend?"

Steve placed his hand on the girls bicep, before whispering in her ear,

"I'm confused. I thought we were routing for them."

"Be quiet Steven. He doesn't need to know that." Darla turned to face the boy before pressing her lips against his for a brief second.

Darla heard the faint sound of her brother pretending to vomit, so she shot him a glare.

"Do you remember that time when you admitted your feelings to Darla to me?" Natasha pointed towards Steve, who had turned red. A smug grin formed on Natasha's face. "This man walked up to me, slammed his hands down in front of me and said, 'you know who I love? I love Darla. Now what? Now what Natasha? Tell me what now.'"

Darla looked up to Steve with a warm smile. She gave his hand a tight squeeze and rested her head in the crook of his neck.

"We'd only known you for what? Two-three months?"

"And you didn't say anything?" The girl questioned with wide eyes. Steve opened his mouth to say something, but nothing was coming out. "Why?"

"I thought it was too soon. You barely even knew me. Then we went out separate ways until you came back."

"Mhm and I wonder who's fault that is." Darla raised her brow at the man.

"It's mine I know." Steve nodded shamefully.

"I used to hear her crying in her room holding those Captain America trading cards." Briar pointed to the girl.

"Woah. Way to expose me. Remember who's place your living in."

Briar clicked his fingers and pointed at the girl with a grin before saying,

"Tony's."

"I wonder how Tony's doing." Natasha spoke up.

Darla avoided eye contact with the group. Both Steve and Natasha hadn't spoken to Tony in the past two years. However, Darla had, she went and visited him, Pepper and Morgan frequently. She didn't want to lose touch with the only father figure she had left in her life.