𝐈𝐈.𝐈𝐗

ORDERS

Fury, Natasha, Sam, Hill and Steve all gathered around the bed that Darla was laid in. A short while after she and Steve both fell asleep, Fury and the others walked in. They made small comments about how they looked adorable together but quickly dropped it once Darla sent them all a deathly glare, as they woke her up.

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize." Fury said holding up a photo of Pierce.  "He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility. See it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues."

"We have to stop the launch." Darla said as she used all her strength to sit up. Steve placed his hand on the small of her back to help her.

"I don't think the Councils accepting my calls anymore." Fury said as he opened up a box.

"What's that?" Sam questioned curiously.

"Once the helicarriers reach 3,000 feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites, becoming fully weaponised." Hill said as she span around the computer to reveal what would happen.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." Fury motioned to the box that Sam previously asked about.

"One of two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die." Hill explained.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We have to get past them, insert these server blades. And maybe, just maybe we can salvage what's left-"

"We're not salvaging anything." Steve shouted cutting off Fury. "We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick. We're taking down SHIELD."

"SHIELD had nothing to do with this." Fury shook his head.

"You gave me this mission. This is how it ends. SHIELDS been compromised. You said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed." Steve continued to talk. Darla linked her hand with his, noticing how he gradually got angrier.

"Why do you think we're meeting in a cave?" Fury questioned snappily. "I noticed."

Darla watched the two boys carefully. Her thumb ran over Steve's knuckles soothingly. She felt the boy relax slightly, but was still tense.

"And how many paid the price before you did?" Steve questioned, his jaw clenching.

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes." Fury shook his head. He was telling the truth, he had no clue about Bucky.

"Even if you had, would you have told me?" Steve questioned curiously. "Or would you have compartmentalised that too? SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes."

"He's right." Hill nodded in agreement.

"Don't look at me." Sam muttered as Fury looked around at everyone. "I do what he does, just slower." Darla couldn't help but chuckle at Sam.

"Well, it looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain." Fury said sitting back in his chair.

~

Despite Steve's pleads Darla walked through the woods with him, Sam and Hill. Steve had told the girl that it was in her best interest to stay back and rest up. But she had told him that she'd made it this far, might as well continue. Darla wasn't going to go down without a fight.

Darla pulled Steve to a stop. Steve furrowed his brows, his eyes flickering over the girls body, making sure that she wasn't bleeding through her stitches.

"Are you ready for this?" She questioned, linking his hand with hers. The blonde girl looked up at the man through her lashes. Her green eyes sparkling as she offered him a sympathetic smile.

Steve shrugged in response and took a step closer to the girl. Darla didn't miss the way his eyes flickered to her lips, making her heart skip a beat.

"I know Bucky means a lot to you, so if you can't stop him. That's okay. We'll figure out a different way. We'd make it work." Steve smiled down at the girl. Of course she was only thinking about him right now, not about the millions of people's lives at risk.

"I'll do what's right, like I always do." Steve assured the blonde. Darla offered him a half smile. "Don't stray too far from me okay? I need to make sure you're okay. I don't want you getting hurt again because of m-"

"It wasn't your fault Steve." Darla paused. "None of this is your fault." She whispered.

"Feels like it is." Steve responded honestly. Darla sighed and wrapped her arms around the taller boy. She waited until his arms wrapped tightly around her. His head rested on her's.

"I promise you, it's not your fault."