𝐈𝐈.𝐗

VOICES

Darla waited until Steve had left the bedroom to pull out her phone. She quickly shut the door and scrolled through her contacts until she landed on Tony's.

She waited patiently for the man to pick up. Her heart was racing, she wondered if he knew anything about what was going on. Not that she'd tell him if he didn't. If she could, she'd keep him out of this.

"Hey kid, how you doing?" Tony's familiar voice said over the phone. "I tried to do a fly in visit yesterday but your brothers said you were out of town. Gone on one of our special retreats have we?"

Darla chuckled, Tony always designed fake retreat leaflets for her parents so that if she randomly needed to disappear for a week or two without them worrying, she could just hand them one.

Tony always made sure to put a small joke at the bottom, but none of her family actually gave the leaflets the time of day to pick them up.

"I thought it was long over due for me to see Cap. So I'm in Washington." Darla smiled.

"Oooh, how it going with lover bo-?" Teased Tony.

"Tony I have an issue." Darla cut the man off.

"If you tell me your pregnant, me and Cap are having some extremely strong and probably aggressive words." Tony threatened.

Darla burst into a fit of laughter and ran her hand down her face.

"I'm not pregnant. Cap and I haven't even slept together for fuck sake." Darla paused. "I need your help." She said seriously.

"What's wrong?" Tony questioned, from the other side of the phone Darla heard the man shuffle around.

"The voices have stopped." Darla whispered. "They've just stopped and I don't know why. And as much as I hate them, them not being there is so much worse."

"When did they stop?" Tony questioned curiously.

"When I saw Cap for the first time in two years." Darla whispered as if it was a secret. "He walked into the room and they just stopped."

"Have you told him?" Tony quizzed.

Over the past two years, he had tried to understand the voices in the girls head. She had told him the events which had made the voices first start happening, which helped him a great deal.

"No. No." Darla said quickly. "I didn't want him to worry about me. You know Steve he's all-you know?"

"No, not really." Tony let out a low chuckle. "But leave it with me. I'll figure it out."

"Thank you." Darla smiled, she knew she could always count on the man. "Oh and, Tony, please don't tell anyone."

"Our secret." Tony promised.

"Thanks. I've got to go, I've got breakfast waiting for me downstairs." Darla said.

"Alright, see you soon, Kid. When you're back home let me know and we'll go get a drink." Tony offered.

"For sure." Darla muttered as she ended the call and made her way down the stairs. She noticed Natasha sat on the table swinging her legs back and forth and Steve turning to look at her with a soft smile.

"So, the question is, who at SHIELD could launch a domestic missile strike?" Natasha questioned.

Darla walked over to Sam, who was currently buttering a slice of toast for himself.

"Thanks." Darla grabbed the toast from his hands, leaving Sam in a state of shock.

"That was my-" Sam was cut off by Darla biting into the toast with a teasing grin.

"Pierce." Steve answered Natasha's question as Darla sat on the arm of his chair, despite there being three other chairs she could sit on.

"Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world." Darla muttered as she finished the toast. Steve wrapped his arm around the girls waist, his fingers tracing patterns on her exposed thighs.

"But he's not working alone." Steve said as he looked up to her. "Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star."

"So was Jasper Sitwell." Natasha stood up and crossed her arms.

"So, the real question is, how do the three most wanted people in Washington kidnap a SHIELD officer in broad daylight?" Steve questioned, resting his hand on Darla's thigh. He allowed the girl to trace patterns on his hand to sooth him.

"The answer is, you don't." Sam said as he walked around the counter and stood beside Natasha. He placed a file on the table.

"What is this?" Steve questioned as he stood up, making Darla stand up too.

"Call it a resume." Sam looked between the three.

Natasha picked up the top photo and looked between the couple.

"Is this Bakhmala?" She questioned, her eyes flickering to Sam. "The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you? You didn't say he was a Pararescue."

"Is this Riley?" Steve questioned as he looked at the man stood beside Sam in the photo.

"Yeah." Sam nodded sadly.

"I heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPG's. What did you use? A stealth chute?"

"No. These." Sam stepped forward and handed Darla the file.

"I thought you said you were a pilot." Steve looked over the blondes shoulder at the photo.

"I never said pilot." Sam said with a small chuckle.

"I can't ask you to do this, Sam." Steve shook his head. "You got out for a good reason."

"Dude, Captain America needs my help. There's no better reason to get back in." Sam shrugged honestly.

Darla looked at the man with a warm smile. He seemed like a genuinely sweet person. And although Darla hadn't known him long, she had taken a liking to him.

"So, where can we get our hands on one of these beauty's?" Darla rubbed her hands together as a childish grin formed on her face.

"The last one is at Fort Meade. Behind three guarded gates and a 12 inch steel wall." Sam informed the three, who then all shared a look and shrugged, they'd been through worse.

"Shouldn't be a problem." Steve said as he threw the file back down onto the table.