𝐈𝐈𝐈.𝐕

PARTY

It had been a few days since Darla's outburst and she made sure to keep her distance from everyone, including Steve. Despite her trusting him and wanting to see him again. She was terrified that she would hurt everyone else. So, she kept in her room and away from them all.

She knew it was lonely and isolating. And she knew that she'd probably regret it later on but it was the right thing to do.

Darla had been drinking and exercising more. It kept the voices quiet and the new abilities she had at bay.

But tonight was the night of the party that Tony had promised her, so she had to show up. Tony had brought her a dress to wear, he promised her that she would look amazing and take everyone's breaths away, which made her chuckle.

"Are you ready yet?" Tony shouted as he knocked on the girls bedroom door. "Everyone is arriving."

"I'll be out in a minute." Darla muttered as she looked at herself in the mirror. Her hands trailed down the dark burgundy dress that stopped high thigh before opening the door and looked at Tony with a smile.

"You look amazing." Tony complimented the girl before he extended his arm for the girl. Darla smiled but shook her head, not wanting to injure the man. "One day, you'll have to trust yourself again, kid."

Darla nodded knowing that she couldn't avoid human contact for the rest of her life.

The pair walked down the stairs simultaneously, making everyone turn to look at them.

"Ladies and gents, welcome back Darla Dyer."

Everyone began to clap their hands together as the girl descended down the stairs. She felt her heart racing at the fact that everyone was watching her.

Steve walked to the end of the stairs with a smile. He hadn't seen the girl in a few days, since she locked herself in her room and refused to see anyone.

"W-Oh-Um-Wow." Steve stuttered over his words.

His eyes flickered up and down the girl in the low cut dress. She smiled and span around revealing the crossed back that it had.

"You look perfect." Steve offered his hand for the girl to hold, but she shook her head. "I trust you." He stepped closer and slowly snaked his arms around her waist. "You don't have to worry about hurting me." He clenched his jaw slightly but didn't say anything, the pain was worth it.

Darla nodded with a soft smile as Steve pulled her in the direction of the snooker table.

"There's someone who wants to see you again." His hand rested comfortably on the small of her back.

"Samuel!" She smiled happily as she looked up at the man.

"Mrs America." He opened up his arms, expecting the girl to run into his chest, but instead she looked at his open arms and shook her head. "I don't understand." Sam muttered furrowing his brows, he thought she would have been happy to see him, she sounded happy.

"It's Electrokinesis" Steve said. "The use of neuro-electric energy from a primary source to her, the secondary."

He had asked Tony what was wrong with Darla as he was the only one who actually was able to talk to her. Tony had told him, so Steve did his own research to help him understand the girl better as well as try to help her.

"You did your research." Darla smiled up to the man, which didn't go unnoticed by Sam. Sam turned to Steve with a knowing smirk.

"Basically, it means you can't touch her, man." Steve said placing his hand down on Sam's shoulder.

"That's worked out perfect for you then hasn't it?" Sam chuckled making Darla furrow her brows in confusion. Steve's eyes widened as he cleared his throat.

Steve handed his pool cue to Darla, who looked up at him with an innocent smile.

"You don't know how to play to you?" Steve questioned, Darla smiled and shook her head. Sam smirked, instantly catching onto the girls game but decided to stay quite. "I'll teach you."

Sam took a step back and allowed Steve to placed his hands over Darla's and positioned her hands on the cue.

Steve placed his hands on the girls waist and pulled her closer to him as they leant over the table and took their shot.

Sam waited until Steve was occupied before leaning down next to Darla and whispering,

"Well played."

"Oh, I certainly thought so." Darla chuckled, she knew how to play the game very well. Sam had a coy smile on his face as he took his shot and listened to Steve explain everything that went down earlier in the week.

Darla linked her arm with Steve's and walked with the two over to the bar.

"Sounds like a hell of a fight. Sorry I missed it." Sam apologised.

"If I had know it was gonna be a firefight, I absolutely would have called." Steve chuckled as he lead them up the stairs.

"It's also where I made my grand reappearance." Darla grinned, linking her hand with Steve's and resting her head on his shoulder.

"No, no, I'm not actually sorry." Sam chuckled. "I'm just trying to sound tough. I'm very happy chasing cold leads on our missing persons case. Avenging is your world." The three stoped in the middle of the hallway and turned to view all the people at the party. "Your world is crazy."

"Be it ever so humble." Steve smiled.

"I like our world." Whispered Darla.

"You find a place in Brooklyn yet?" Sam questioned as his eyes flickered to the man.

"I don't think I can afford a place in Brooklyn." Steve chuckled. He had been looking for a place in Brooklyn for the past two years, it was not only his hometown but Darla's too.

"You want to move to Brooklyn?" Darla questioned with a soft smile. Steve nodded, turning his head slightly to press his lips against the girls temples. If he moved to Brooklyn, they wouldn't be so far apart from each other. But also if she moves back home, they'd be in the same place.

"Well, home is home, you know?" Sam reminded the boy.

"I know." Steve whispered and looked down at the girl. He couldn't help but be reminded of something that Bucky always said to him when they were children.

'Home is where the heart is.'