𝐕𝐈.𝐗𝐕𝐈

1940

"THOR?" Darla shouted once she saw the man. A smile formed on her face as she ran up to him. She instantly wrapped her arms around his shoulders.

Thor stumbled backwards slightly at the impact. His arms wrapped tightly around the girls waist. It was the warmest welcome that he had received from his friends.

He didn't hear her shout due to the headphones but he pulled away with a huge smile on his face. The girl always had that kind of affect on people, the second that she walked into a room it seemed as if everything was going to be okay.

Darla stepped back into Steve's chest and allowed him to wrap his arms around her waist. He pressed his lips into her neck, causing her to turn and face him, pressing their lips together with a smile.

"Alright Clint, we're going in three, two, one." Bruce announced as he clicked a button causing Clint to go into the quantum realm.

The blonde looked towards Steve anxiously. She hoped to God that this worked because if it didn't. They were back to square one.

"Lila!" Clint cried as he came back, his knees buckling, causing him to fall to the floor.

Darla pulled away from Steve and rushed up to the man. Her hand rested on his shoulder, causing him to look up to her.

"Hey. Hey, look at me." Natasha said as she looked at her best friend. "You okay?" Both of the girls slowly helped Clint stand up.

"Yeah. Yeah." Clint nodded and looked between the two. "It worked." He smiled. "It worked."

Steve couldn't help the smile forming on his face. He looked across to Briar, who had tears in his eyes. The blonde man place a hand on Briar's shoulder, making him smile.

Darla looked around at the group. It worked. The time machine worked. Tony looked at the blonde, her smile was incredibly contagious, so naturally he smiled too.

The girl walked up to Steve, throwing her arms around his shoulders and jumping up into his arms. Her legs linked behind his back. Her fingers threaded through his hair and her forehead rested against his.

"We did it baby." Steve whispered, his warm breath mingling with hers. "We can get them back."

She jumped down from his arms, but his hands still rested on the small of her back. She tilted her head back to look at him. His blue eyes sparkled as he smiled.

They could get her family back. They could get their friends back. They could get back everyone they care about. Everyone they love.

"My family can come to our wedding." Darla whispered softly, tears brimming her eyes.

"I wouldn't have it any other way." Steve smiled, pressing his lips against her forehead.

~

Darla laid on the bed in Steve's arms. His fingers traced patterns up and down her bicep. Neither of them had said anything, but rather sat in a comfortable silence.

Everything was going according to plan. Everything was going to be okay.

"Cap?" Darla spoke up, causing Steve to hum in response. "Tell me about the 1940's."

Steve looked down at the girl, he didn't know how much more he could tell her. He felt like he had told her every story multiple times.

"I've told you all my stories, baby." Steve brought his hand up to tuck some of her hair behind her ear. She smiled as his hand rested on her cheek. "Why'd you ask?"

"I want to know that part of you. I know you had to adjust to modern day life." Darla paused. "Do you miss it?"

Steve shrugged in response. Sometimes he missed it. He missed his old War buddies and he missed his and Bucky's relationship. But without him going into the ice, he wouldn't have been here.

He wouldn't have found the love of his life. He wouldn't be engaged to Darla. He wouldn't be as happy as he was now.

"Sometimes. It certainly made more sense to me." He let out a low chuckle.

Darla sat up and straddled the man's lap. Her hands rested on his chest and his on her thighs. Raising up the plaid shirt, that he was wearing earlier in the day. He loved when she wore his clothes.

"Do you think I'd like it?" She whispered, almost as if she daren't ask the question in the first place.

"I think you'd love it." Steve nodded. "It was a very white picket fence kind of life. It was easy." He paused. "Despite the war."

"But I'd have the most eligible man in Brooklyn."

Steve chuckled at Darla's words, it reminded him of what Bucky had said to him the day he found out that Bucky had been drafted and went to the Stark exhibition.

"Cause we'd live in Brooklyn." Darla began to fiddle with the sleeves of her shirt. "We'd have three kids, all close in age so that they get on." A smile formed on her face. "And we'd have family nights where we all sit in the living room and just talk. Or watch movies or listen to the radio."

Steve couldn't help but smile at the girl. He loved her with all his heart and loved when she spoke so passionately about something.

"And I'd write you cute letters, confessing my love and my deepest desires to you and leave them somewhere for you to find." Her eyes flickered up to his blue ones. "Then I'd cuddle up to you real close at night and you'd whisper that you love me before we fall asleep."

"And we'd be happy. With no fighting. No deaths. No losses. Just us." Steve caught onto what the girl was saying. She hummed in response. "It sounds like a dream baby." He whispered, opening his arms and allowing her to lay down on his chest before holding her tightly. "I love you."

"I love you too."