𝐈𝐈.𝐈𝐈𝐈

TRUST

Steve lead Darla up the stairs to his apartment. He smiled towards his neighbour, who he knew as Kate. She was just finishing up a phone call and carrying a load of laundry.

"My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac." Kate said as she motioned to the phone.

"Hey, if you want-if you want, you're welcome to use my machine. Might be cheaper than the one in the basement." Steve said as a friendly gesture.

Darla smiled to the blonde woman stood across from her in her pink scrubs.

"Oh yeah? What's it cost?" Kate questioned curiously. Steve shrugged. "Thank you, but I already have a load in downstairs, and you really don't want my scrubs in your machine. I just finished a rotation in the infectious disease ward, so..." She trialled off.

"Well, we will keep our distance." Steve chuckled and slightly pulled Darla back and closer into him. She couldn't help but smile as her back hit his chest and his strong arm wrapped around her waist.

"Oh, and I think you left your stereo on." Kate added as the faint sound of music was playing from Steve's apartment.

"Oh, right. Thank you." Once Kate left, Steve face fell.

"Let me guess, you didn't leave your stereo on?" Darla questioned looking up to the man slightly.

"I don't even know how to work it." Steve responded honestly. Darla pursed her lips trying to hold back a chuckle. "We're going through the window." Steve said as he grabbed Darla's hand and lead them around to the fire escape and towards his window.

He slowly opened it and creeped into his apartment, offering Darla a hand inside before rushing to grab his shield. He made sure to stand in front of the blonde girl, who now had her gun pulled out of her waistband.

Steve peered around the corner of his room and saw the record player spinning. His eyes landed on Fury and let out a small sigh of relief.

"I don't remember giving you a key." He said towards Fury, finally allowing Darla to step past him to see who was in the room.

"You really think I'd need one?" Fury questioned, wincing as he stood up. "My wife kicked me out."

"You're married?" Darla questioned, her eyes widening in shock. "How did she ever put up with you?" She teased.

"I didn't know you were married." Steve added.

"A lot of things you don't know about me." Shrugged Fury.

"I know, Nick, that's the problem." Steve said standing up straight, he stood tall behind Darla. He leant across to switch on his light to brighten up the room.

Fury held up his hand and turned the light back off. Steve furrowed his brows and watched Fury's every move. Darla looked between the two boys. The man typed on his phone,

'EARS EVERYWHERE'

Darla furrowed her brows and subconsciously took a step closer to Steve. His arm wrapped around her waist and held her tightly.

"I'm sorry to have to do this, but I had no place else to crash. I didn't mean to interrupt your evening." Fury said as he typed on his phone once again.

'SHIELD COMPROMISED'

"Who else knows about your wife?" Steve questioned continued to okay along with the previous conversation but still asking the necessary questions. Fury stood up the message on his phone now reading,

'YOU, ME AND DARLA'

"Just my friends." Fury said taking small steps closer to the pair.

"Is that what we are?" Darla questioned noticing the mans limp and the fact that he was clutching onto his side.

"That's up to you." Fury answered as a bullet flew through the wall and into Fury.

Darla and Steve both grabbed Fury's arms and pulled him out of the way of the shooter. Steve was about to run and attack the shooter but Fury grabbed his arm and showed him the USB stick.

"Don't trust anyone." Fury coughed out. "Only each other."

"Captain Rogers?" Kate said as she came into his apartment. "Captain, I'm Agent 13 of SHIELD special service."

"Kate?" Steve furrowed his brows but pulled Darla behind him. She held onto his arm tightly, ready to pull him away at any second.

"I'm assigned to protect you." Kate said as she rushed over to Fury.

"On who's orders?" Darla questioned snappily.

"His." She whispered looking down at Fury, who was laid lifelessly on the floor. She tried to feel for a pulse before she pulled out her radio. "Foxtrot is down, he's unresponsive. I need EMTs."

"Do we have a 20 on the shooter?"

"Tell him I'm in pursuit." Steve responded as his eyes flickered to the shooter who was running away. Not even seconds later, Steve used his shield to break through the glass and jump into another building.

"I think I'll just use the stairs instead." Darla uttered sarcastically. She ran down the stairs of the apartment complex and into the streets of Washington.

She tilted her head back to look up at Steve who was stood on top of a building looking down at the streets. He shook his head, he had lost the shooter.