7. Welcome!

Here we are, in front of the main entrance of the University again. It's September 15th, second day of school and my second attempt to start my life all over again.

   Emma is glued to my right arm and I'm convinced that nothing and no one can make her let go.

   We came at the last possible moment to make sure that everyone would be already inside and seated in the lecture hall. This way, they would not have the opportunity to trap us in the hallways and ask questions.

   The yard is empty and we can hear only the cars on the street nearby and the lingering cries of the seagulls, flying high in the sky above us.

   I look much more conventional and local this time, if it's possible at all. No more baggy clothes and prints of anime characters. I've chosen just a pair of black skinny jeans and a white button-up shirt under a dark grey fitted jacket. Totoro gave way to a boring black backpack and the bright red of my sneakers went to simple white.

   Changing the color of my hair would be too much but at least I've brushed it up and to the left, making it look tidier than the tousled mop of yesterday.

   Emma says that I definitely look nifty. I think, I look like someone who's about to be murdered.

   The thing, seriously bothering me about this new image, is that my face is fully uncovered. I'm not used to this. It makes me feel exposed and uneasy. But I can handle it, I hope.

   I gulp nervously with a sharp feeling of doom, creating unusual movements in the pit of my stomach. Emma squeezes my arm to give me some courage and we enter the building.

   The main lobby is impressive to say the least. It's more than ten meters high. Huge ornamented marble columns surround the central part. A monstrous staircase, decorated with statues, rises before us leading to the second floor where our lecture hall is situated.

   We feel like bugs at the feet of an elephant. I take a deep breath and we start crawling up the stairs.

   I become extremely hesitant again at the entrance of the lecture hall. It crosses my mind that I can turn around and run away.

   Emma feels my notion and grabs my arm, opens the door and tosses me inside.

   Gasps and squeaks can be heard from all sides. Some people start clapping their hands and I hear even a wolf howling from the back.

   It wasn't a good idea at all to come last.

   We're standing at the foot of the huge, packed with people amphitheater and every pair of eyes is staring directly at us.

   My courage is fading away. My palms are sweating. Bright red color is spreading on my face and neck and I start fidgeting in my place. This is not good. I'm ready to run out. The moment I become fully determined to go for it, I hear a female voice behind my back.

   "Come on, colleagues! Take your seats already. We're starting."

   It's the professor, a beautiful woman in her fifties, who's waving us to move to the benches.

   The first two rows are almost empty. Emma is pulling me by the hand and chooses two seats with no one around. I splotch on one of them and try to become invisible by sliding down under the desk. I still hear random whispers and giggles from different corners of the hall. No doubt they're all at my expense.

   "Are you alright?" Emma whispers in my ear.

   I nod my head, although, it's not exactly the truth. I'm very nervous. Strangely, it's not as bad as yesterday. It'll be better as soon as the lecture begins and everyone's attention focuses on the study material.

   The professor loudly clears her throat.

   "Let me start with saying 'ようこそ (Yōkoso)!'* to Mr. Kondo Shingyōji who's the first Japanese student in our specialty in the century long history of our University. I wish you great success in your studies, Mr. Kondo. I hope that, although our cultures are very different, you will feel at home in our country and our town."

   A wave of chatter floods the hall the very moment she says my name. People are repeating it and my heart painfully shrinks in my chest. A truly kind woman, but I can't be happy about her courtesy. I wish she didn't draw even more curiosity towards me.

   Emma is squeezing my thigh.

   "Breathe, Sunny! Slow, deep breaths. She's just being polite."

   "I know," I squeak, trying to follow her advice.

   The professor knocks on the board of her desk and continues.

   "Now, let's start with the legal structure of the limited liability companies. I will not tolerate any side conversations. So, please, be silent and concentrate."

   Luckily, everyone quiets at the professor's last words and I calm down a little. An hour of piece will hopefully follow. I take out my books and a pen and get ready to take notes.

   I should've guessed that it's too early to cheer.

___________________________________

*Welcome!

A/N

Hello everyone who reached the end of Chapter 7.

Did you have fun?

Thank you so much for reading and voting! ❤

I really want to know what you think about the shy, cute Sunny?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize if you feel like.

I'd love to see your impressions. 

See you in the next chapter.

Don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny