14. Totally Insecure

I really don't know what to write back. 

   Em's definitely flirting with me. It's easy for him. He's so handsome and self-confident. It has probably never crossed his mind that he could be rejected. On the contrary, people chase after him.

   I'm exactly the oposite. I've build a wall around myself and desperately fight to keep it intact. I'm not sure I can live without it.

   I started this, with my fingers being faster than my brain, but I'm at a loss of words now. I'm so mad at myself for losing my balance over something so casual like a simple text message.

   I kind of want to tell him that I do like him, but it would be too direct. I'm not brave enough to admit such a thing to the cockiest person I've ever met.

   Before I could come up with anything, the phone ends my daze, dinging again.

   Em: "You like sea food, right?"

   He's obviously not going to dig into the subject of my romantic preferences and push me to embarrass myself further. I feel thoroughly relieved. Emma, however, is disappointed, judging by the way she snorts and purses her lips.

   Me: "Yes, I do."

   Em: "What about going to the beach?"

   Me: "I don't like sunbathing, but I like swimming."

   Em: "Perfect! I'll take you somewhere you'll really like. What about this afternoon at three?"

   Me: "Ok, I'll send you my address."

   Something starts to flutter and twist deep in my stomach, quickening my breath. He wants to see me. He's asking me out. The excitement that overwhelms me is mixed with fear. They're equally stong. My hand is slightly shaking when I reach for the phone to see the next incoming message.

   Em: "You can take Emma. Jamie and Lucky are coming too. Bring a bathing suit."

   Emma is beaming, "He's taking you on a date. I knew it! He's into you." 

   She hugs me from behind and kisses my cheek, "My 美しい少年 (Utsukushī shōnen)*! I knew that only you could melt his haughty heart."

   I smile, but I'm also confused. Not that I'm not happy to hang out with everyone, but it makes me doubt what exactly his intentions are.

   "If it was a date, he wouldn't ask everyone else to come too," I frown. "Maybe, he just wants us to be friends and hang out."

   I sound a little disheartened. I don't see why, though. I've been trying to convince myself that nothing can happen between us since the day I met him.

   "Sunny, it's a date," Emma huffs, shaking her head in disbelief. "He brings everyone because you're no better than a frightened mouse around him. He gives you time to get to know him and open up."

  I'm still not convinced, "What if he just wants to have fun with his boyfriends and finds it entertaining to drag me with them." 

   As soon as I blurt it, I immediately realize how unfounded this accusation is. I know, despite the short time I've known them, that none of them would ever act this way. But that's who I am, totally insecure.

   "Oh, Sunny!" Emma sighs, "You're so apprehensive and distrustful. You were persuading me that he's not into boys only five minutes ago, and now you think he wants all three of you at once. You already know Jamie and Lucky. They are nothing like that. As for Em, it's true that he can be hard to read, but he's never been accused of being insincere, I assure you."

   Emma is looking at me searchingly. Her face finally softens at my gloomy expression. She cups my cheeks.

   "I know why you're like that, sweetie," she gently whispers, "but I'm with you. I'll never let anyone hurt you again. Not even The Dark Prince." 

   She shows me her clutched fists and makes a few boxing movements with a resolute gleam in his eyes. "I might be two feet shorter, but I'll beat the shit out of any of them if they upset you in any way."

   I can't help but smile and hug my fierce, sweet friend.

   "Emma, I really love you. You know that, right?"

   "I love you too, sweetie," she kisses my cheek. "Come on, don't think too much about it. Just have fun. Who else can say that the hottest boy in town has fallen for him?" 

   I'm relieved and finally able to actually appreciate the fact that I'm going to spend the day with Em. 

   Nothing, however, can match the wide grin on Emma's face when she chirps, "I'm so happy! You should pinch me, cause I might be dreaming. I get the chance to be with Lucky the whole afternoon . And he'll be in a swimsuit. I can't wait to see what other tattoos he has."

   I roll my eyes and we burst into laughter.

   A persistent thought is swirling in my head though.

   Does Em have any tattoos?

___________________________________

*beautiful boy

A/N

Hello everyone who reached the end of Chapter 14.

What do you think, does Em have any tattoos?

Well, you might or might not find out soon. 😉

Thank you so much for reading and voting! ❤

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize if you feel like.

See you in the next chapter.

Don't forget to vote, if you enjoyed the story.

Love: Anny