75. Free Zone

We're sitting in he back seat of a big, black Mercedes, slowly making its way through the crazy traffic of the town's busiest central street.

   Soft, soulful, house music if filling the space with muffled basses, mixed with violin sounds. The city lights are streaming in a whirlwind of colors passed the windows.

   I'm gazing at the led billboards, the elegantly arranged shop window displays and the fashionable people, walking along the lighted sidewalks, on this warm October evening. 

   This town is alive. It's pulsating and breathing. It has a heart. I can feel it deep inside of me, making mine beat steadier and braver. 

   It's my town. I live, and love, and dream here. This is my new home.

   I squeeze Emma's hand. I'm afraid. As absurd as it may sound, I'm so happy that I'm scared.

   "What's the matter, honey?" Emma peeks at me. "There's nothing to be worried about. Yeah, the club has quite the reputation, but I'm sure we're perfectly safe. It'll be a lot of fun."

   "I'm not worried about the club," I roll my eyes, chuckling lightly. "Not with this mountain of a man who accompanies us."

   Our driver and, as long as I understand, also a bodyguard, is a young man in skinny jeans and a fitted tee, revealing impressive tattooed biceps. He's six and a half feet tall, at least, with the physique of a three door wardrobe. He'd be downright scary, if he wasn't smiling and chattering in the local language, making Emma giggle all the time. She explained that it's actually Tony's brother.

   "What is it then?", she insists. "I can see that something bothers you."

   I sigh. There's no way to hide anything from her.

   "I'm not sure I want to see Em perform in front of an audience," I mutter. "They'll go crazy and drool over him and..."

   "Are you jealous?" Emma shrieks. "Sunny, are you insane?"

   "No!" I quickly retort. "That's not it. I just... He was mine for a whole month and... What if... He will be surely stunning... "

   I huff with flushed face, ashamed by the doubts that make my stomach twist painfully.

   "Em loves you, silly. He'll be singing your song. Nothing can stand between the two of you," Emma laughs. "When are you going to finally see daylight?"

   "Emma, am I enough for him?" I barely utter. I'm terrified that seeing him, adored by his fans, will make it clear that I'm too ordinary to be with him.

   "I'm not even answering that! Idiot!" she frowns. " And stop pulling that shirt down. It won't make it longer. Whatever you do, your butt will still be on display, so suck it up. Thanks God I managed to pull that ugly cardigan out of your grasp."

   She sticks her tongue at me and, for some reason, I burst into laughter. Her bluntness is so refreshing and eye-opening sometimes.

   The car turns right and leaves the central street. We start moving in a dark labyrinth of narrow lanes, surrounded by high buildings and tall trees.

   Suddenly, we stop in a small parking lot, at the back side of what seems an old two-storey, baroque house with curved ornaments round the eaves and large, dark windows, occupying most of the burgundy walls. Several high street lamps illuminate the area. 

   We get out of the car and head towards a small, black door, almost hidden behind a row of Leyland Cypress Trees.

   Our companion turns to me and starts ranting enthusiastically, grinning widely while opening the door and waving us to go in.

   "He can't wait to hear the new smash hit and thinks that it must be grate to have a song, written for you," Emma translates. "Also, we shouldn't go anywhere without him and whatever happens should not step out of the marked areas. The crowd may become quite wild, so it's for everybody's safety."

   The guy adds something with apologetic expression. 

   "Oh, My God! He also says sorry, but he's obliged to tell this to everyone who goes inside", Emma snorts. "It's not allowed to touch the dancers. It's also not allowed to touch the band members, but he knows it doesn't apply to us." 

   What? What kind of dancers? And why would anyone try to touch them... or the band?

   The guy shrugs his shoulders at my startled expression and leads us through a long, narrow hallway, dimly lit by recessed, LED ceiling lights. 

   The walls are black and covered in posters of rock bands from the floor to the ceiling . Some are famous, old school, like ACDC, Pink Floyd and Guns N' Roses. Others are new, alternative ones. I recognize  Green Day, Hinder and linkin Park, but there are so many more. 

   The hallway seems endless. From time to time we reach stairs, go a level down and continue to follow it. The lower we descend, the stronger becomes the invasive smell of leather, exotic spices and cigarette smoke. We start hearing, or rather feeling, the vibrations of deep bass beats, which evoke strange excitement and anticipation.

   Just when I'm about to ask our companion when we're going to reach our destination, he opens another small, black door and we end up in an enormous hall. 

   We're behind a small, elevated stage which faces the vast space, filled with tall, round tables, surrounded by high stools. There's a long catwalk, extending  from the stage to the far, opposite end, dividing the hall into two areas. Shiny dance poles are mounted on it every few meters. A big neon sign on the wall says "Free Zone".

   Intoxicating, psychedelic, rock beats give additional mystery to the place. Everything is colored in red and black. It's dark. Only the vintage, Chinese style, table lamps cast dim rays of light. Thin wisps of smoke are rising from smoldering incense sticks, placed in beautiful jars on each table.

   It feels like a luxury dungeon. The whole setting gives very sensual vibes, evoking some deep, primal fear at the same time. 

   My eyes roam around the hall, which is packed with people. They're sipping their drinks, chatting and laughing, but the voices are silenced by the music. There's no vacant table, except the one, closest to the stage. I'm sure it's ours.

   Goosebumps crawl all over my skin. I want to run out at the feeling that all these eyes will stare at me soon. I know it will happen. They probably know already who I am. 

   I shake off the anxiety. Nothing can make me miss Em's performance. I'm dying to hear my song.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 75!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

You're amazing!

What do you think about the 'Free Zone' club? 🥰🥰🥰

Any guesses about what will follow?

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you enjoyed the story.

It's the greatest award for the author.

See you in the next chapter.

Love: Anny