15. Dressed to Kill

It's three o'clock and we're waiting in front of the entrance of my block. 

   It's another perfect autumn day. The sun is bright. The breeze makes the air fresh and spreads the smell of the sea everywhere.

   I've put two large beach towels for me and Emma, some spare clothes and a pair of swimming glasses in my Totoro backpack. Since it's my favorite and we're not at school, I've decided to go back to my original style. The open, dark blue shirt I've chosen, leaves no doubt where I come from. It's modern, but in yukata* style, with traditional prints of white flying cranes. I left it to fall loosely over a white t-shirt. 

   I want Em to see who I am. I need him to know that we're different. I have to find out if he'll be intrigued or startled at the fact that we're nothing alike. Maybe, I chose for the same reason a pair of swimming shorts with a print of 'The Great Wave Off Kanagawa'** and let my hair go into it's natural disheveled state.

   I'm trying to impress him. But, somewhere deep inside, I hope that he'll find me too incompatible and give up. 

   I'm thrilled to see him. He entices me like the flame attracts the moth. I'm scared shitless. I've already felt the scorching pain once. It almost killed me. But, although, the stupid moth always burns in the end, that never stops it, does it? 

   So, here I am, waiting for the most gorgeous man I've ever met, to come and save me or ruin me completely.

   Emma is fidgeting around impatiently in a fifties style red dress and a pair of adorable caramel flip flops, embellished with big, pink, silk flowers.

   "Do I look good?" she keeps asking me, trying to look at herself on the windows of the nearby shop.

   "You look perfect, as always," I assure her, taking off my sun glasses.

   "You're really sweet, but we both know I'm plump," she rolls her eyes.

   "And why exactly is this a bad thing?" I raise a brow. "Your curves are beautiful. They only make you more pretty."

   Emma has always been self-conscious for being full figured, but I think she's one of the cutest girls I know.

   "Does this sudden lack of confidence have something to do with the fact that you're about to see someone you really like?" I grin at her.

   "You mean Lucky," she sighs. "I've always liked him. I wish he could respond with the same, but it's hopeless. I've seen the girls he hooks up with. I'm too far from being even half as sexy as they are." She looks down and starts picking at the hem of her dress. "Not to mention that he belongs to The Dark Prince. Em will never approve anything between us. I'm just totally out of their league."

   That sounds too familiar.

   "Emma, now you are apprehensive and insecure. You have no reasons to be like that. You're beautiful, smart and funny. Anyone would like to be with you," I try to reassure her. "And Em is not going to interfere. He likes you. Besides, I'm sure that no one is owned by anybody. If Lucky wants to do something, I don't think he needs a permission."

   I hate to see her sad. I know how she feels.

   "They hardly spoke to me before you came, Sunny. I'm not deluding myself that they would've befriended me if it wasn't for you," she mumbles.

   "It would've been entirely their loss." I pull her by the hand and hug her. "And you would've remained only mine." I kiss her head. "Now I have to be jealous of that sulky, offhanded, tattooed boy."

   I sense that she smiles in my shoulder.

   "By the way, they've already realized that you're a real treasure and like you for what you are, not because of me," I add.

   A black roofless Wrangler jeep pulls over at this moment and Lucky jumps out of the driver's seat, beaming at us.

   "Hey, cuties! Hugging, huh? Can I join?" he yells and glues himself to my back, embracing us in his wide-open arms. "You're so adorable that I want to adopt you both," he coos.

   "Down boy!" I hear the familiar deep voice.

   Em lazily emerges from the front passenger seat, oozing sexiness.

   He's lost the mysterious black-leather-smoky-makeup look and is just fresh and hot. The white, sleeveless tank top reveals his well-shaped biceps and a too realistic tattoo of a black widow spider, crawling up his left shoulder. His shiny, raven hair is side parted, with the larger part, swept to the left and tucked behind his year. The black swimming shorts, just a little above the knee, reveal long, well-formed, elegant legs, as smooth as silk. His milky white, perfect skin makes him look like a marble statue of an ancient Greek hero.

   How can someone be so handsome?

   He approaches, ogling me shamelessly from top to bottom and grins approvingly, "Wow, you're definitely dressed to kill."

   He bends close to my ear. His mouth almost touches my skin when he whispers, only for me to hear, "I missed you. You're so gorgeous that I don't know what to do."

   His lips brush my earlobe, as if by accident, so lightly that it feels like a feather. But it's enough to create a pit of swarming heat in my stomach. I take in a sharp breath and immediately blush crimson red. The smirk, emerging on his face leaves no doubt that this was exactly what he wanted.

   "Come on, guys! You'll smooch at the beach," Lucky shouts from the car, making me blush even harder. 

   Emma is already seated at the back with Jamie. I quickly climb in and sit next to her. Em goes back to his place at the front and we're off.

___________________________________

*cotton summer kimono

**a woodblock print from the late Edo period by Katsushika Hokusai, considered one of the most recognizable works of Japanese art

A/N

Hello everyone who reached the end of Chapter 15.

What do you think, is this a date or just hanging out with friends?

Thank you so much for reading and voting! ❤

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize if you feel like.

See you in the next chapter.

Don't forget to vote, if you enjoyed the story.

Love: Anny