18. Swimming Away

The soft sun is caressing our faces. The scent of algae and salt fills our nostrils. The rhythmic splashing of the waves drives us into a comfortable daze.

   It is a feeling I will remember forever. 

   Em is still holding my hand and his smooth fingers are under my chin. We are looking at the beautiful view before us and it is so right. There is no other place I'd rather be now but here with him. 

   I lean back on his chest, taking in the warmth of his body. He rests his chin on my shoulder. The waves are lapping gently at our feet. We stay quiet, submerged in this unexpected closeness. The world around us has disappeared. It's only us.

   Suddenly, our bubble of peace and contentment is burst open abruptly by something small, ticklish and disgusting, crawling on my toes. 

   I scream shrilly, to my great shame, and almost throw myself on Em's neck, shaking violently my leg. A tiny crab flies out of the water and lands on the sand, few feet away. 

   Em is laughing hysterically, holding his stomach. 

   "I... I'm sorry," he snorts, desperately trying to stop cackling with little success. I glare at him and frown.

   "I thought you liked swimming. How exactly do you swim, if you're scared of tiny sea creatures?" he manages to say, finally calming down.

   "I don't swim in the sea. I trained swimming before, in a pool," I pout, stressing on the last word.

   "Oh, I can tell. You have the body of a swimmer," Em smiles, "fit, but not muscular." He looks at me dreamily and adds softly, "Just perfect."

   I immediately blush and look down to my feet. I've never been able to accept compliments easily and, coming from him, it makes me all tingly and dizzy

   We start walking slowly back to the others. I'm picking beautiful shells from scallops, coquina clams and sea snails and dry crab claws from the piles on the sand. Em is carrying my discoveries in his cupped hands, smiling at me all the time. 

   His blue eyes are shining in the soft sunlight. It's mesmerizing. I'm so attracted to him. Everything is so perfect that it seems unreal. I almost expect to wake up at any moment and find myself in the depths of my anguish again.

   "Why did you stop? Training, I mean," Em asks suddenly.

   Oh, here's the wake up call. 

   My stomach shrinks painfully. It's a simple question, but it throws me in utter distress. I don't know what to say. I'm desperately trying to think of some simple answer, but nothing casual comes to my mind. My brain refuses to work. My hands begin to tremble.

   "I... I was... couldn't... s-something h-happened a-and... I didn't...," I stutter, realizing that I've unconsciously hidden my face in my palms.

   "Hey, Sunny, you don't have to answer. I'm sorry!" Em comes closer and starts rubbing my back. "Don't worry about this. It's ok. I'm sorry for being nosy," he's trying to comfort me, the concern visible in his eyes. 

   I feel so ashamed that I managed to embarrass myself again. 

   What was I thinking? All my problems can't disappear as with a magic wand. I'll only keep worrying everyone who tries to get close to me. I'm better off alone. 

   The need to run away and hide overwhelms me.

   "I think I'm going for a swim now," I blurt quickly and rush to our umbrella without looking back.

   I remove my clothes in a hurry, put my swimming glasses and dive into the sea.

   I am swimming as fast as I can. The well learned, methodical strokes are carrying me farther and farther from the person I want, but I am too terrified to let into my world. I go on until the pain in my strained arms and legs is unbearable. 

   I stop only when I have no more strength to continue. I am far away from the shore, but still can't get away from the anxiety. There is nothing else to do but relax on my back and float on the water until I calm down.

   It feels like I have been free drifting for a really long time, may be an hour.  At least I'm finally composed and can think rationally.

   It comes to my mind that it was very rude to leave Em this way, especially after all that he had done for me today and before. He only asked me a casual question, not knowing it might trigger my emotions. I freaked out, as usual. I need to control myself better. Not that I haven't been trying for the last two years.

   The shore is too far away and no one, except Emma, knows if I am a good swimmer. I made everyone worry again. I hope she told them I would be fine. 

   I must head back as soon as possible, suck in my mortification and apologize.

   I get tired more quickly on the way back. There's still quite а long distance ahead to cross. I usually swim much faster and effortlessly under water, so I dive and shoot forward. Two more dives and I'll be able to step on the sand.

   The moment I see that I'm in the shallow, I emerge from the water and remove my swimming glasses just to meet the penetrating gaze of two crystal blue eyes right in front of my face.

   Em is standing before me with the water almost up to his shoulders. I'm afraid that he's mad at me, but his face is calm and bright. He tilts his head aside, looking at me intently and softly smiles.

___________________________________

Photo by Mali Maeder from Pexels

A/N

Hello everyone who reached the end of Chapter 18.

Thank you from all of my heart for devoting a part of your time to this story! ❤

I hope you've already grown to like Em and Sunny.

Have you got a favorite already?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize.

I can't wait to hear about your impressions. 

See you in the next chapter.

Don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny