21. You Promised Me

Many of the items Em wants to buy for me are actually given to him for free by the chatty salesgirls. They are immediately enchanted by him and eager to give him 'three for the price of two' or 'whatever you like for the price of your phone number'.

   With his worn out, super skinny grey jeans and the sleeveless, black, leather vest with spiked lapels, he's as hot as hell. His black hair is wet and tousled, giving him an "I just got out of bed and wasn't there to sleep' look. This obviously drives the girls crazy.

   Some of them get really aggressive in their advances. I can tell that he finds it funny but, despite being polite and sometimes flirtatious, he never gives any personal information and makes it clear that he's with me and is not interested in what they offer, besides the goods they sell. He's also very careful to speak always in English so that I won't be left out of any conversation.

   I know it's silly, but I can't help frowning when a particularly determined lady keeps trying to put a scarf round Em's neck to show him 'how well it compliments your incredible eyes', although he repeats "No, Thank you!" for the third time. 

   I have no right to be jealous. We're not boyfriends or something. He only told me he liked me and I couldn't even respond. But still, I'm so irritated every time when someone's trying to touch him.

   I feel a hand on my shoulder and turn to see Jamie who's looking at me with a sympathetic expression.

   "Annoying, isnt it?" he smiles. "You'll get used to it. It's always like this. He's just a magnet for people's attention." He rolls his eyes to show that it's not a big deal, but then adds more seriously, patting me on the back, "However, I can assure you that he's not searching for it and wouldn't do anything to hurt the people he cares about."

   I want to ask him for more information. Has he been in my shoes? Does he speak out of his own experience? Is he Em's best friend or something more? And, if it's the second, aren't he and Lucky frustrated by the fact that Em is ignoring them to focus on me? Do they hate me or consider me their friend?

   Suddenly, everything looks so complicated. 

   The worry that I may be imposing into their relationship and the feeling that I'm not able to handle anything between me and Em make my insides painfully shrink. This fabulous day made me forget for a brief moment how unstable I am. 

   But now I remember why I can't do this.

   It's not Em, or Jamie, or Lucky. It's me. I'm broken. I've lost the ability to trust or love.

   I unconsciously start stepping back from our group just to bump into some people behind me. I'm getting dizzy and disoriented, not able to decide what to do. The familiar fear twists my insides.

   Em turns to me, waving the blue scarf that I liked. His wide smile immediately fades when he sees the expression on my face. He pushes the scarf in Jamie's hand and, before I know, he's in front of me, cupping my cheeks in his hands.

   "What happened, my sweet?" he gently asks. "Whatever bothered you is not as bad as you think."

   I'm staring at the ground and breathe unevenly. Pathetic! That's what I am. I'll never be anything else. Why does this gorgeous boy still want to be close to me? 

   I feel him pressing his forehead to mine.

   "I'm here, Sunny!" His voice is soft but demanding. "You should tell me if something worried you instead of running away again. You promised me."

   He's right. I did. But I can't tell him that I was jealous. Even less I would admit about me panicking over him and the other two boys. 

   I don't want to deceive him by telling him some made up half-truth. Why is everything so difficult for me? He's always so wonderful and I'm so ... me.

   I finally decide that he deserves nothing but honesty.

   "I was annoyed by the way some girls were forcing themselves on you," I mumble under my breath. "I know, I don't have the right to be. I just couldn't help it."

   Strangely, saying it makes me feel better, so I continue more bravely.

   "Jamie told me that I would get used to it. It sounded as if he knew you so well and you're really close. I felt that I was intruding into something I shouldn't." 

   I'm squeezing the lapels of his jacket for courage. "Em, I'm messed up. I'm so sorry! I'm far from being even easy to communicate with. And you're so cool. I can't..."

   I'm not able to go on and only bury my face in his chest. He hugs me and squeezes me closer.

   "You're perfect," I hear him whispering in my year, "sensitive and delicate, but so original and charming at the same time." 

   He lifts my face and kisses my forehead. "You're not intruding into anything. The boys really like you. They never do things they don't find enjoyable, believe me." 

   He slides his fingers in my hair and adds, "We all have our ups and downs. It's not something that would determine my attitude to someone."

   I feel his lips pressing to my cheek, breathing the words directly in my ear, "Don't you see that I'm crazy about you, kitten?"

   I'm melting into him. I've never felt so enchanted by someone. I wrap my arms round his waist and press even closer.

________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone who reached the end of Chapter 21.

I can't thank you enough for your support! ❤❤❤

Things will speed up from now on, so be prepared.

Do you think Em is strong enough to handle Sunny's anxiety?

What about Jamie and Lucky? Do you like them?  

Do you think they're Em's boyfriends? 😉

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize if you think it's necessary.

See you in the next chapter.

Don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny