53. Total Opposites

"Do you like Italian food, kitty?" Em asks me when we all are finally sited round the table.

   "I love it," I beam. "I was actually planning to order something from that part of the menu."

   "Good! Then I offer you to let me choose for you and you'll choose something for me from the Japanese section. What do you think?"

   "That will be great!" I answer enthusiastically. I really can't wait to see what he'll pick for me.

   "Is there anything you don't eat?" I ask. "There's quite a lot of raw fish and specific spices in our cuisine." I don't want to order something that he won't like.

   "No, sweetie. I'll be happy to try anything you chose for me," he smiles and strokes my cheek.

   We both start to dig into the enormous list of dishes. In few minutes Em's eyes lighten with delight.

   "I know what I'll order for you," he says excitedly. "I told you that half of my family is from Bologna. My father is from there. It's in the region Emilia Romagna. Besides the fact that it's very beautiful, the town is famous with its delicious food. Do you know that Italians actually call it Bologna 'la grassa'? It means Bologna 'the fat'."

   He chuckles and I can see the love for the place, written on his face.

   "I spent my childhood there and cooked every day with my nonna [1]. I really enjoyed it," he says lovingly.

   "You're so sweet," I can't help but coo at him. "I love the way you speak about your family."

   "It's because of you, kitty." He kisses the tip of my nose. "You made me this way. I haven't spoken to anyone about my family for ages."

   Em pauses for a moment, looking into my eyes. I can feel the unspoken words, lingering on his lips. I know what he's thinking. I want to tell him that he can say it now. I'm no more afraid to hear it. I need to let him know that I feel the same. But I'm still not ready and only smile. He smiles back and continues.

   "Anyway, I see that they prepare some of the most famous Bologna dishes here. Soo, I'll order for you tortellini alla Bolognese [2]," he states triumphantly. "It's ring-shaped pasta, stuffed with a mix of prosciutto crudo di Parma [3], mortadella [4], Parmigiano Reggiano [5], hen egg and a little nutmeg, served in brodo di cappone [6]. I hope the taste will be authentic. Do you like how it sounds?"

   "I'm thrilled to try them," I nod my head eagerly.

   "I surely like how your Italian sounds," Emma mumbles with an expressive sigh.

   "I can speak Italian if you'd like," Lucky immediately offers, making everyone laugh.

   "And then I have for you Cotoletta alla Bolognese [7]," Em goes on. "It's a hot veal cutlet, dipped in beaten egg and dredged in bread crumbs with butter, served with slices of prosciutto and cheese on it."

   "Em, both sound absolutely delicious, but I can't eat all of this food. It seems a lot. Order one of them. The other I can try next time."

   "Oh, no, my sweet. Be thankful that I'm not ordering a starter as well. I knew you would say this. Being with half-Italian means eating a lot. Get used to it," he chuckles. "And we're drinking prosecco [8], of course."

   Now it's my turn. After Em's sophisticated choice, I feel a little anxious if I'll manage so well. Finally, I decide that he'll like the tempura shrimps and vegetables [9]. In addition, I decide to order a platter of Nigirizushi [10] with various toppings and wasabi [11], pickled ginger and soy sauce on the side.