17. The Beach

We pass through a beautiful village with neat, large, multi-storey houses, surrounded by vast yards, flower gardens and swimming pools. The jeep turns left at its end, into a narrow road, covered with gravel, winding through fields and groves. Suddenly, we come up on a long asphalt promenade.

   Numerous colorful stalls and bustling outdoor restaurants are lined on our left. They are all incredibly picturesque. I've never seen anything like that.

   Everything is being sold. There's Ice cream, fruit, popcorn, crushed ice smoothies and candy cotton in various colors and shapes. The diversity of hand made jewelry, swim ware, inflatable beach balls and floating mattresses is mind blowing.

   The souvenirs are so many that my eyes jump from one spot to another with utter astonishment. There are artistic wooden, glass and plush animals from the size of a walnut to almost human height, various pottery, rattan baskets and beautiful, seashell wind chimes and driftwood crafts. Many display spinners are scattered everywhere, piled with fridge magnets, keychains and postal cards.

   The restaurants are no less impressive. Each has its unique style and atmosphere. 

   One is under stretched fishing nets, surrounded by rough wooden fences. Different types of mounted trophy fish decorate the wooden poles between the tables. 

   Another is tucked under a wood trellis, covered in thick, leafy, green vines with ripe bunches of red grapes, hanging over the heads of the visitors. Large pots with blooming flowers add colorful splashes everywhere. 

   There's even a Jurassic park themed pizza bar with large models of dinosaurs and big palm trees.

   A vast sandy beach with white umbrellas and sunbeds spreads on our right side. A foot-high sand dune, naturally formed by the waves and covered in shells and green sea weed, separates it from the splashing sea. There are people sunbathing and swimming, but not many, compared to the thick crowd in the shopping area.

   Beach bars in various styles are lined on the sand. Some are furnished with simple wooden bar tables with high stools, all facing the see. Others are modern, with wicker lounge sofas and day beds, piled with colorful cushions or egg swing chairs around low coffee tables.

   I'm overwhelmed by this whirlwind of colors. The waves of music, coming from different directions are mixing in a loud buzz. The thick stream of people around us is endless. 

   It feels like we've left the ordinary world and dived into another dimension where the only purpose of every being is to indulge in all kinds of entertainment.

   We're slowly moving along the promenade towards a big parking area. 

   The moment we stop, Lucky and Jamie run on the sand like unleashed puppies, laughing and chasing each other. I give Emma a hand to help her out. We're looking around while Em is taking a backpack from the trunk and locking the jeep. 

   "What do you think? Like this place?" he smiles at me. "It's away from the main tourist attractions and mainly local people come here. Quite busy still. I wanted you to feel the local atmosphere."

   I'm a little shy to look at him after what I did earlier. But he's so sweet. I'm really excited to be here.

   "It's great! I love it! Thank you so much for showing this to me!" I smile back.

   "Wait, the best is yet to come," he winks and waves us to follow him on the sand.

   We choose a place, close to the water and put our stuff down. Lucky and Jamie are already in the sea, splashing and laughing loudly. Emma takes out a book from her bag, lying on one of the sunbeds. Not for long, though, since Lucky runs to her, grabs her hand and drags her to the water, not paying attention to her loud protests.

   "You want to swim or take a walk with me?" Em asks, seeing that I'm hesitant and can't decide what to do.

   "Let's take a walk," I answer, not sure if I want to join the too rowdy group, playing among the waves.

   "Good! Because I wanted most of all to show you this," he beams, grabbing my hand.

   The second his fingers touch mine, I feel the familiar tingle in my stomach. Trying to look composed, I follow him but my mind refuses to omit the fact that we're holding hands. If someone's watching us from a distance, they'd decide we're together. 

   Suddenly it doesn't seem so impossible. What if it can happen? Is it so wild to dream about him, about being his. I can almost imagine it, kissing him, curling up in his arms.

   No! I shake my head to chase away the deceptive thoughts. I can't do it. He doesn't know. I can't let him see. No one can handle the mess that I am, not even me.

   We're walking along the sand dune with our feet in the water until we reach a space with no people around. Em stops, moves behind me and slides his free hand under my chin, turning my head to the direction he wants me to look.

   I gasp in surprise. It seems we drove to this secluded beach in a semicircle and a stunning view of the whole town is revealed before us. The streets, the buildings, the parks, everything is like on the palm of my hand in front of me. 

   The cargo port is at this side. Enormous ships are lined at the foot of the town, waiting to moor and be loaded or discharged. The view is breathtaking.

   "It's amazing!" I whisper.

   "It gets even better after sunset. The lights are magical" Em says quietly. "I'll show you sometime."

___________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone who reached the end of Chapter 17.

Did you like the beach?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize if you think there's need to.

I can't wait to hear about your impressions.

Thank you for reading and voting! ❤

See you in the next chapter.

Don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny