30. I Called to Apologize

I hear a distant phone ring in my sleep and growl in discontent, hoping that, if I don't move, it will eventually stop. It doesn't and is getting more and more annoying.

   "Emma, are you sleeping?" I barely mutter without opening my eyes. 

   No response. 

   I start feeling the bed around me with my hand, still squeezing my eyes. The moment I touch someone's arm, I feel a hard slap across my fingers.

   "Sunny, leave me alone and go get the phone," she snorts. "My head is acking and I definitely feel sick. If I try to get up, I'll surely puke."

   I sigh and, having no other choice, open my eyes and sit up very slowly. 

   Emma is sprawled on the bed on my right. Her face is as pale as a ghost. She's breading heavily and holding her stomach.

   "How much exactly did you drink last night?" I ask but receive only a tortured moan in response. Clearly, much more than she can take. 

   I understand now the gleam in her eyes while she was giving me a painfully long, pompous lecture how I shouldn't disappear for two hours, especially after running away in a nervous breakdown. It was a real torture, but I admit that she was absolutely right.

   I slide out of bed and go to the living room where I find the phone on the kitchen island. I pick up, too sleepy to look what time it is or who's calling.

   "Uh, Sunny, it's Jamie. Did I wake you? It's one p.m. I thought you were already up." 

   I'm a little surprised. I didn't expect it to be exactly him.

   "Hi, don't worry about it. I had to get up anyway. Emma is having a severe hangover. If I hadn't woken, she would've puked the whole bed. I should help her," I answer.

   "Oh, sorry to hear that. I hope she'll be fine. I...um...called to apologize," he clears his throat, "for last night. I guess, it didn't look very good, I mean, me licking Em and the rest..." 

   A tense silence follows.

   Now that I think about it, I kind of overreacted. I often sleep in one bed with Emma, without licking her, of course... Anyway, I'm sure Em wouldn't make such a fuss about it. 

   So, I decide to comfort Jamie who obviously feels guilty. 

   I break the awkward silence, "Jamie, you don't need to apologize to me. I know him from only two weeks and you've been friends forever. You don't have to change the way you usually behave because of me. Lucky already told me that you were just dancing and having fun." 

   It's nice of him to call me and say 'sorry'. He's a little wild but a good boy, after all. 

   "It's all good," I assure him.

   "Well, thanks for not taking it personally. Friends, right?"

   "Yeah, sure, friends."

   I toss the phone on the sofa and start digging the cupboards for some medicine to give to Emma. 

   When I go back to the bedroom with some pills and a glass of water, Emma is not in the bed. I find her sprawled face down on the bathroom floor, gripping the edge of the toilet bowl with both hands.

   "Sunny, I don't think I'll survive this day," she whines pathetically. "We'll have to say goodbye, my friend. Please, don't miss me too much. I don't deserve it. Not after I made you come home with me last night and ruined endless hours of wild sex for you."

   I roll my eyes with the deep suspicion that she's still drunk. 

   "Oh, Dear! Wild sex with The Dark Prince! And I dragged you home," she continues to howl dramatically. "If the alcohol doesn't kill me, I'll do it myself. People are ready to give an arm and a leg for him to fuck them." 

   Her tirade is interrupted by a sudden, sharp onset of vomiting and she barely manages to pull herself up over the toilet in the last possible moment.

   Poor girl!

   I shove the pills in her mouth and make her drink the water. Her face turns even more white but at least she's quiet.

   I leave her to roll on the cool tile floor and start adjusting the temperature to fill the bathtub.

   She's helpless, so I undress her and somehow manage to settle her in the tub.

   After an hour of soaking and sipping everything I bring her, from orange juice to chicken broth, she's finally in a relatively stable state which is nice for her but not so good for me. 

   The moment she feels a little better, Emma grabs my arm and pulls me in the water. I'm so surprised that have no time to react and splash in the middle of the white cloud of coconut-scented foam with all my clothes on, making her grin widely at me.

   "Emma, you are totally insane and now I have the proof," I scream.

   "Shhh, keep it quiet, sweetie. Loud sounds are still not good for my head. Now be a very good boy and tell me everything you did with The Dark Prince for two full hours in his bedroom in every tiny detail. Be specific but speak quietly," she demands with impatient look on her face.

   Her expression is all 'no objections are accepted'.

   "We did nothing," I answer firmly. 

   Wow, it's really nice to relax in the scented, warm water. I sigh contentedly, wondering if I should take off my clothes or stay with them. I decide something in between, throwing my wet sweatpants out of the bathtub but leaving my shirt on.

   "Oh, really? Have you seen yourself in the mirror? Your lips look as if someone sucked them like a lollipop, not to mention the outrageous hickey behind your ear. You did something alright. The question is how far you got," she says, narrowing her eyes suspiciously at me.

   "We kissed," I decide to give a tiny bit of information in the name of my piece and sanity and sink into the water to the chin.

   I'm perfectly aware that I won't get away with only that.

______________________________

A/N

Hello everyone!

So, here we are at the end of Chapter 30.

I know I keep saying it, but you are truly amazing! 

Thank you for reading, voting and, most of all, enjoying the story! 

Isn't Emma just a sweetheart? 💕

Do you like her? 😝

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you feel it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you enjoyed the story.

Love: Anny