50. The Cellar of The Castle

We're standing at eight p.m. in front of the entrance of a winery restaurant that I can call no less than impressive. 

   It's in an old, classical, two-storey corner building with triangular shape, situated on the spot where two of the busiest shopping streets of the town merge and exit on one of the most beautiful central squares, just opposite a magnificent baroque fountain. 

   The whole façade is covered in big, curve-top windows, surrounded by white, gypsum, lavishly ornamented frames, standing out against the pastel orange color of the walls. The attic floor is lined with shiny, metal sheets. A beautiful turret is peaking above the entrance. 

   The place indeed looks very elegant and stylish.

   It's good that Emma agreed to come and help me with the clothes. I would've put on something completely inappropriate otherwise. 

   It's nothing special that I'm wearing, just an open, white, button-down shirt and a pair of navy-blue pants. It's enough, though, for me not to feel too sporty or sloppy.

   Emma, on the other hand, is absolutely stunning in her satiny, deep purple dress with wide-waist leather belt and impossibly high heels. I haven't seen her so dressy in a while and this raises some subtle gut feeling that she's up to something.

   "Emma, this place looks really popular. Are you sure we'll find a vacant table?" I ask, narrowing my eyes at her in suspicion.

   It's the dinner hour and people go in all the time.

   "Don't worry, honey. I've reserved a table for seven. They're expecting us," she proudly states.

   "Seven?" I yell in disbelief. "Is there something I'm not aware of?"

   Emma knows very well that I'm not comfortable among people I don't know. I can't believe that she's invited others without telling me. 

   Not that I don't want to meet some of her friends. I know she has a lot, but keeps them away from me, giving me time to get accustomed to my new environment. I'd really prefer, though, to be informed in advance and prepare somehow, if that's possible at all, if I'm going to be presented to so many of them.

   "Calm down, sweetie! It's for us and the boys." She says soothingly. "There'll be only two others that you don't know yet, the remaining members of the band. I haven't met them either but, being Em's friends, I'm sure they're pretty nice guys."

   I huff nervously and she pats me on the shoulder. "You have to meet them someday. After all, you're their lead singer's boyfriend, aren't you?"

   "Why didn't you tell me earlier?" I frown at her.

   "Because I didn't know until after our phone call either." She shrugs her shoulders. "I received a text message from Lucky. He wanted to know what we're doing later. It was right after we hung up. I told him that we're having dinner at the winery and he asked me to make a reservation so that the band could come too. I forgot to tell you because we were choosing clothes and ..."

   "Really?" I interrupt her. "It's so common for Lucky to text you, that you've forgotten about it?"

   My words are overflowing with sarcasm and I hope she notices it.

   "Ok, ok, I didn't tell you on purpose," she raises her hands in surrender. "I wanted it to be a surprise."

   I raise a brow and she adds resignedly, "Fine, I didn't want you to freak out."

   I gasp. There seems no way out of this.

   "Stop worrying. It'll be great." She grabs my hand and drags me in.

   The moment we pass the threshold, we find ourselves in another time, far in the past. 

   It's an old cellar with stone walls and arched galleries, curving inwards, dimly lit by enormous, wrought iron chandeliers. 

   Vintage wooden racks are mounted on the walls, piled with hundreds of bottles of different types of wine from the floor to the ceiling. 

   Paintings of elderly women in local national costumes, preparing food in antique kitchens and old men, making wine, are hanging everywhere.

   It's like an ancient castle. 

   A beautiful hostess immediately approaches and leads us through one of the galleries to our table, which is in a separate chamber with a large stone fireplace. 

   I gaze around in amazement.

   We sit at the broad, round table on black tufted chairs.

   Tall, cut glass candlesticks cast warm light and flickering shadows on the flawless, snowy-white tablecloth, the luxurious tableware and the crystal high stemmed wine glasses. 

   I relax among this beauty, mesmerized by the dance of the flames in the fireplace. 

   A smile is lingering on my lips. The uneasiness about the new people I have to meet is gone. 

   The only thought, occupying my mind is that, in few minutes, Em will be here.

___________________________________

Photo by Bruno Cantuaria from Pexels

Photo by Rene Asmussen from Pexels

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 50!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

You're amazing!

What do you think of this unexpected gathering and Sunny finally meeting all the members of Em's band? 😉

Do you think Lucky has prepared a surprise for Emma on his birthday?

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you enjoyed the story.

It's the greatest award for the author.

See you in the next chapter.

Love: Anny