16. Happy?

I came to live here a month ago, but with the moving in my new apartment, preparing for school and constant visits to Emma's house, I didn't have time to explore the city. I only know the central area, where the University is situated. 

   It's a tiny one, compared to my home. I learned that Tokyo has twice the population of the whole country. Still, the town's big according to the local standards. It's the second biggest, after the capital and the largest sea resort.

   Although the high season is over, it's packed with tourists, mostly European.

   We're driving through the streets and I'm submerged in the atmosphere and the views around me. Modern buildings of glass and steel and beautiful old classical and baroque houses follow one after another. We pass by picturesque parks, luxurious hotels and cozy restaurants with tables, scattered all over the sidewalks.

   The road goes by the sea and we see the beach, the colorful umbrellas, people sunbathing and parachutes, flying above the waves, towed by motorboats.

   The life is beaming around me. People are smiling, holding hands and kissing without shame on the benches. Some unfamiliar, but contagious warmth and easiness are lingering in the air. I've heard that it's typical of the Southern European nations. I can really feel it now, for the first time.

   The jeep is leaving the suburbs. The wind is ruffling our hair. Deep house music, coming from the stereo, pulsates in our bodies. 

   The rhythm aligns with the beat of my heart. I inhale the scent of the sea and my skin catches the last rays of the summer, which is almost gone. I'm so warm inside. Small explosions of joy follow every beautiful sight and captivating sensation. 

   We're crawling up a huge, six-lane bridge on monstrous, concrete columns. It's winding over a wide water channel which connects the sea with a vast lake. Big and small boats are moving in both directions or floating anchored. 

   I see а group of people halfway across the bridge, cheering for a jumper. He's flying over the metal railing and down to the abyss with a bungee, almost touching the water at the bottom. His friends are exalted, waving at him and hugging each other.

   A strange feeling overwhelms me. It's as if I've been curled into a ball for years, and now I'm slowly unrolling. It's amazing but hurts at the same time. The process is painful. I've forgotten how to be content and have to learn it again.

   Something burns inside my chest. It makes my heart swell and the corners of my mouth curl into a smile. 

   I once knew what this feeling was but I can't recognize it now or, maybe, I don't want to. It's so enticing, but I'm frightened. If I let it take over me and make me believe I can face the world, if I embrace it, it will be twice as bad when I lose it again.

   The feeling doesn't go away. I'm fighting it but it's strong. Sometimes the good is stronger than the bad. The warmth spreads and I give in. 

   I let my self be relaxed and content. I know what it is.

   I feel... happy?

   The realization startles me. That must be it. I was convinced that it's impossible and will never happen to me for years. I started to hate happiness because it was out of reach, because I lost it.

   And here I am, awed by the fact that to be here, in this car, with these people, with him, makes me happy.

   I look at the back of the boy, sitting in front of me and his shining tousled hair.

    Before I can even realize what I'm doing, I reach up and bury my fingers in Em's locks. They're so much softer and smoother than I've imagined. I can't help but gently squeeze a handful. He's pressing his head into my palm, turning slowly to face me. My fingers slide, following his movement, over his ear and down his cheek. His skin is like velvet.

   I'm watching my palm caress his face in a trance. He turns a little more and my fingers end on his lips. My heart jumps.

   His eyes are closed. He stops moving. I'm staring enchanted at my hand on his beautiful mouth which is slowly stretching in a soft smile.

   When he presses his lips to the tips of my fingers, as if an electric spark burns them and I jerk my hand away.

   I'm gazing at my fingers in dismay. I can physically feel the heat and it's spreading to the rest of my body. My heart is pounding like crazy. I fear it will jump out of my chest.

   I raise my eyes and peek around. Lucky is driving and bouncing to the music. Jamie is busy on his phone. None of them pays any attention to the rest of us and doesn't seem to have noticed what has just happened. Em is looking ahead again. 

   I take a deep breath, trying to calm my pulse and turn to my left to see Emma, who's staring at me, completely numb, with her mouth open and her eyes wide.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone who reached the end of Chapter 16.

Did you like the way Sunny is starting to open up?

Do you think Em is the right person for him?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize if you feel like.

Thank you so much for reading and voting! ❤

See you in the next chapter.

Don't forget to vote, if you enjoyed the story.

Love: Anny