33. スパイシー醤油ラーメン*

I slip in a comfortable pair of baggy sweatpants and a soft hoodie with a large print of Snorlax[1] on the front. I love Pokémon and this is one of my favorites, looking like a big, chubby, fluffy cat. 

   Emma's clothes from last night are in the washer, so I give her my grey Pikachu pajama pants to match my style and a large white t-shirt. She's as sweet as a candy with her hair, raised in a high bun and her face, flushed with excitement.

   We divide the tasks, so that the cooking can go faster and each of us gets to work. 

   I start preparing the broth since it's the most important for the flavor of the dish. I really want to stun the boys with my favorite Tokyo food. 

   Emma is arranging the table. She'll prepare the noodles before serving. 

   We'll cook the toppings when Em brings the groceries.

   The broth is time consuming and difficult to make, but I have some pre-prepared ingredients which will speed up the process. I take out a package of my favorite brand of instant granulated 出汁(dashi)[2] which I've brought from Japan and soak it in water with 鰹節(katsuobushi)[3] flakes.

   While they are soaking, I heat some sesame oil in a pot and add minced garlic and ginger. When they are slightly cooked, I put chili bean paste, stir and add the dashi, chicken stock, soy sauce and some salt and sugar. 

   The fragrances mix and fill the kitchen. They are mouthwatering and make me feel excited, reminding me of Tokyo. 

   Now I remember how far from home I am and how different is everything here. It all feels like a dream from which I'll wake up and it'll all be gone. It almost seems unreal that Em will be here in few minutes and I can actually touch him and hold him. 

   Sadness and happiness mix in a strange sensation, making my eyes water. I smile, but feel like crying or, maybe, I'm crying, but feel like smiling.

   "Honey, are you ok?" Emma's hand is rubbing my back.

   I nod. Everything will be fine because he'll be here soon. The thought soothes me. Somehow, I got used to believing that, if Em was with me, everything would be ok.

   I start preparing the toppings. I open a can of メンマ(menma)[4] and simmer it in water with some teriyaki sauce and 味醂(mirin)[5].

   Emma is ready with the table, beautifully arranged for five people. 

   She has taken out my favorite 麺鉢(Menbachi)[6] with beautiful, stylized images of a carp fish in different shades of blue, high ball glasses with 桜(sacura)[7]pattern and salad plates, imari style [8] with blue peacocks and pink roses. 

   They are on placemats with traditional Japanese images of white cranes, flying over blue waves. 

   In the middle of the table there's a wooden, rotating, serving tray for the toppings and the salads. 

   We hear the door bell ringing and Emma squeaks in excitement. 

   My hands immediately start trembling. My face turns bright red. I'm nervous. 

   This is the first time I meet Em as my boyfriend and I can't help but wonder if it's going to be awkward.  

   What's the best way to behave? 

   Shall I play cool or just throw myself on his neck? I don't think I can do the first while I really want to do the second. The memories of last night do not make this easier at all either. 

   I brace myself and open the door. 

   The three boys, standing outside, are the very embodiment of self-confidence and attractiveness. I can't comprehend what exactly had happened since I came to live in this town, which eventually led to the present moment when this stunning trio is waiting in front of my door. 

   Before I can open my mouth, I'm swept off my feet and tightly squeezed in Em's arms. He presses his lips to mine and murmurs, without pulling away, "Hello, beautiful. I missed you like hell."

   I wrap my arms round his neck and breathe in the familiar lavender scent. Now that he's close to me, I can't imagine how I was able to pass through the day without going crazy to see him.

   "I missed you too," I whisper.

   He pulls away and looks at me from head to toe. "How come you're even cuter every time I see you?" He slides his hand over the print on my hoodie with a smile. "What's this?"

   "It's Snorlax, one of my favorite Pokémon. Do you like it? Isn't this the most adorable creature you've seen?" I smile back, already more relaxed.

   "Yeah," he chuckles and pulls me back in his arms, "but I still think you're cuter," and kisses my ear.

   "Get a room you two. I'm getting sick of so much sweetness," Lucky snorts, but a light smirk is lingering on his lips.

   "I'm getting sick of starvation," Jamie whines.

   "Sorry!" I smile apologetically. "Come in!" 

   I lead them inside.

    Em's fingers are intertwined with mine and this is the best feeling ever.

___________________________________

*(Supaishī shōyu rāmen) Spicy soy sauce ramen

[1] Pokémon species

[2] Soup stock, used in Japanese cuisine

[3] Dried, fermented, smoked skipjack tuna

[4] Dried and fermented bamboo shoots

[5] Japanese rice wine, similar to sake

[6] noodle bowl

[7] cherry blossom

[8] brightly-colored style of Japanese porcelain

A/N

Hey everyone at the end of Chapter 33!

Thank you for reading, voting and, most of all, enjoying the story!

I'm sorry for the lesson on Japanese cuisine! 😂

I hope, it wasn't too boring. I just wanted us to dive more into Sunny's world.

Isn't Em the sweetest boyfriend ever? 😍

I promise you that, in next chapters, he'll pull a surprise out of his sleeve too. 😁

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you feel it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you enjoyed the story.

Love: Anny