73. Friends Forever

[Trigger warning: violence and attempted sexual assault description]

   Em carried me in his arms all the way to the hospital.

   I tried to protest, but he made it clear that he'd never let me out of his embrace until he was sure I was ok. I was grateful for his determination because, although, I was going to do my best, I knew, I wouldn't be able to walk. The pain in my ribs was increasing by the second, making it hard for me to breathe.

   It's good that the hospital is only two blocks away from the University and there aren't too many people in the streets usually, at this time of the day. 

   The ones who passed by, were casting curious glances over their shoulders, but I couldn't care less, feeling that I'd lose consciousness at any moment.

   We were directed to the ER immediately. Doctors and nurses were bustling around me in a hurry, examining me and talking in the local language to each other and Em, who firmly refused to leave.

   I was given a handful of painkillers, went through the X-ray and got several stiches on my lip.

   I'm finally left alone with Em in a silent, white room, drowsy from the medicines, but squeezing his hand. 

   It's all familiar, the concerned faces, the people in scrubs, running around, the beeping equipment, the tears of my loved ones. 

   But still, it's so different than before. I'm not desperate. I haven't given up. The person I love didn't abandon me. He saved me. He's right next to me. It's crazy, but despite my awful situation, I'm happy.

   Em's looking at me, smiling softly, but his eyes are worried and glistening.

   "I feel better, Dārin," I barely utter. "It doesn't hurt anymore."

   My mouth and chin are swollen and plastered with gauze and tape, making it difficult for me to pronounce the words.

   "Shh, don't speak, love," Em interrupts me. "Just rest. Everything will be fine. The doctor said that you have a fractured rib, but no internal organs are damaged, so you'll only have to restrict movements to a minimum for a week."

   He smiles sadly and adds, "You'll also have to take only liquid food for several days and be careful not to tear the stiches and open the wound on your lip."

   I nod and, since I can't smile back, lift my hand and cup his cheek.

   Em kisses my fingers and says with a serious expression, "The nurse will bring some documentation soon. You'll have to sign 'Forensic examination of injuries' report. We're pressing charges against that bastard. I've already called the police. The doctor said that what he caused you is qualified as moderate bodily injury. Daniel can go to jail for five years."

   He huffs, "They'll probably give him less, but I guarantee you that, if I see him any time sooner, I'll kill him, without blinking an eye."

   "No!" I shake my head. "I don't want you anywhere near him."

   "Shh, don't worry, kitty. Nothing can separate me from you from now on, not even for a second. I'm moving to your apartment to take care of you for the next week." 

   Em presses his forehead to my hand and I feel wetness on my skin. My heart shrinks. 

   He sobs, "I'm so sorry, love. It's all my fault. I couldn't protect you. It's all because of me."

   I want to tell him that he's not right. He can't be responsible for what that jerk did. My heart is breaking, seeing him cry.

   Before I can do it, we hear a quiet knock on the door. Em quickly wipes his eyes and straightens. Emma, Jamie and Lucky enter the room.