9. The Great Flop

All is peaceful till the end of the lecture.

   Em stands up when it's over, grabs one of the backpacks and leans towards the viper boy, telling him something incomprehensible to me, softly but insistently. The other nods in agreement, although his eyes are narrowed in obvious disapproval. I'm pretty sure that I hear him hissing.

   Then Em approaches his blond friend, who's already surrounded by several girls, and pulls him closer by the sleeve. The girls move away respectfully while he's whispering in his ear. The boy smiles widely and gives him thumbs up.

   It's fascinating to watch their interaction. Both seem unquestioningly ready to oblige Em, no matter if they're happy or angry with what he wants. It's obvious that the three of them get on swimmingly.

  No doubt, the smirk, lingering on Em's lavender lips, can make anyone do anything he asks without a second thought. I most definitely would.

   He's just perfect. I find no flaws. I'm aware that I'm staring, but am totally unable to avert my eyes.

   My hypnotic observation of his movements though is rudely interrupted by Emma, who's painfully poking my shoulder. I turn to her, slightly annoyed. She's looking at me with questioningly raised brows, pointing to the small notes that I and Em have exchanged. They're still scattered on the desk. 

   I know her too well and immediately understand what she's planning.

   We both throw ourselves forward to grab the wrinkled pieces of paper but Emma's faster. Before I even reach out, she has already snatched them. Her eyes sparkle in delight as she prepares to read. 

   Her victorious grin, however, doesn't last long. We haven't noticed during our short scramble that a tall, leather-wrapped figure is standing in front of us.

   Em is giving my best friend a reproachful look, clicking his tongue.

   "Emma, Emma, Emma, so nosy!" he scolds with a sly sneer, nodding towards his outstretched palm.

   She obediently places the notes in his hand with a dissatisfied snort. Em smiles sweetly at her disappointed scowl and shoves them in his pocket. I know that the curiosity is eating her. Although it's not very nice, I can't help but gloat at the fact that she couldn't stick her nose in that one too.

   "I'll see you guys at twelve thirty," he winks and the next second is gone .

   Lucky and Jamie stay for the following two classes, sitting on both our sides. They turn out to be quite agreeable guys and we chat casually during breaks about sports, movies, music and other common stuff.

   Emma, of course, is on cloud nine with Lucky sitting next to her. He's not ignoring her, but I wouldn't say that he's paying much attention to her either. It's perfectly enough though to make her grin the entire time. His exasperation has obviously gone since he's not venomous anymore and is actually quite funny.

   Many people try to approach us and meet me but the two boys exercise some kind of a face-control and only those, let by them, can talk to me. I realize that we're still the center of attention, but with them around, I'm quite at ease and really like all my new acquaintances.

   The professor's only remark regarding Em's absence is, "Well, with two out of three, I think, we can still call it a success."

   Despite the rough start, the morning goes pretty well, after all, and it's suddenly twelve. We are done with the lectures for today. Students are flowing out of the hall. We start gathering our stuff.

   "We're all having lunch with Em. He'll be waiting outside," Jamie announces, making Emma squeak happily.  

   I know she's never ever thought it possible to go eat with the three most popular boys on the campus. I'm not sure how I feel about it. 

   I crave to see Em again but I'm extremely nervous at the same time. What are we going to talk about? I may start stuttering or freak out again, or say something terribly stupid. I have a good history of acting like a fool lately. 

   There's nothing to do about it though, so I sigh and drag my feet after the others.

   The four of us head to the exit, followed by numerous pairs of eyes. It almost feels like I'm on the stage, giving some kind of a weird performance and the audience is just waiting impatiently for me to screw up.

   Although I get a little panicky, surrounded by so many people, I'm actually relived when we're pulled by the stream of students, rushing to the door since I'm no more on display. 

   There are too boys and girls, pushing their way through and we scatter in the crowd. Someone stomps on my foot and I decide to wait aside till they disperse. It takes too long.

   I'm worried that everybody is waiting for me. The moment I see a gap, I dash to the exit, squeeze through the door and look around for Emma and the others. I spot her a few meters ahead and run towards her without noticing that my shoelace has untied.

   My feet get tangled and can't maintain their balance. I trip, fly over some distance and flop flat on my face at two black combat boots.

   My chest is aching from the impact with the marble floor. I might've sprained an ankle as well. But it's nothing, compared to the utter and profound embarrassment that pours over me.

   When is this chain of shameful events going to end?

   I'm seriously considering lying here forever. I don't think I'll be able to ever get up and face the person, hovering over me.

   Because guess whose these feet are!

___________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone who reached the end of Chapter 9.

Did you guess who's are the combat boots? 😁

I'm sure you did.

How do you expect that lunch to go?

Well, I have a surprise for you in the next chapter. We'll see things from Em's point of view. This will not happen often in the book, so enjoy.

Thank you so much for reading and voting! ❤

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize if you feel like.

See you in the next chapter.

Don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny