77. Help! (Em)

This is one of the rare occasions, when the events will be revealed from Em's perspective.

   [Trigger warning: heavy scenes. You can skip the chapter and still be in line with the plot.]

   ***

   Something wakes me up abruptly. 

   I'm not sure if I've dreamed or it's real, but it certainly made my blood freeze in my veins. 

   It was a dreadful sound, a shrill scream of pure horror. Such you can hear only in the scariest movies and won't forget it for days, but will probably never hear in real life. 

   I blink a few times, still unable to bring myself to a fully awaken state. My dizzy mind registers that something is strange around me. I feel that the whole bed is shaking. A sharp string of worry dashes through my body and I jump up and look to my left.

   Sunny! I've drifted off to sleep in his arms, after we came to my house in the early hours. We drank, and danced, and laughed in the club. It was a fabulous night. He was so thrilled about the song and so happy. We didn't even undress, just cuddled in my bed.

   What is happening to him?

   The moment I see him, the blood drains from my face in fear. He's sleeping. 

    But it's not in a normal way. He's curled into a tight ball, in a fetal position, and trembling so severely, that the bed is quaking and creaking.

   Oh my God! How could I let this happen, knowing very well that he's so careful not to fall asleep when it's dark outside?

   I toss a glimpse at the clock on the nightstand and see in the pale glow of the night lights that it's three in the morning. 

   What shall I do? It's best to try to wake him up. I've heard, though, that it should be in a very gentle way when a person is having a nightmare in order not to startle him.

   While I'm pleading with myself what exactly to do, he releases a sound that makes every hair on my body bristle, a long animalistic yowl of utter horror and distress. I hear some muffled words coming out between his pale lips.

"私を救ってください! (Watashi o sukutte kudasai)!

待つ! (Matsu!)

どうぞ、私の手を取りなさい!(Dōzo, watashi no te o tori nasai!)

ここで私を死なせないでください!(Koko de watashi o shina senaide kudasai!)

戻って来てください!(Modotte kite kudasai!)" *

   It's in Japanese and I can't comprehend what he's saying, but the despair and fear in his voice makes my heart shrink in my chest. The last sentence is filled with such deep broken-heartedness and mortification that I feel the tears flood my eyes.

   There's no time to wait. I carefully stroke his shoulder and whisper in his ear, "Sunny, wake up! It's just a dream, love. Open your eyes!" 

   There's no reaction, so I wrap my arms around his shoulders and shake him gently.

   He unexpectedly uncurls and shoves me with his clenched fists, so strongly that I lose my balance and bounce back, falling on the floor flat on my back. 

   I hear that shocking scream again. It makes my hands shake. 

   I scramble back on the bed and freeze in horror. 

   He's sitting in the middle with wide, crazy eyes, staring directly at me, but I can clearly understand that he doesn't see me. Suddenly, he starts kicking around and banging with his fists in a very strange way, as if something is restricting his movements and he's surrounded by an invisible wall that he's trying to break through. Tormented, muffled screeches come out of his mouth. A stream of blood slides down his chin from his severely bitten bottom lip. 

   It breaks my heart, watching him like this.

   Before I can do anything, his eyes roll back. Only the white of his sclera can be seen under his heavy eyelids. He falls back and stiffens, lying motionless. Only his chest is rising and falling rhythmically due to his heavy breathing and whimpering.

   I'm downright terrified. I want to hug him, but I don't dare doing it, at the same time. Shall I call an ambulance? He's clearly having some kind of seizure. I have no idea how to help him.

   Idiot! How could I let this happen? The helplessness and fear make my tears stream down my cheeks. I better call Emma. She must know what to do. The moment I reach for the phone, I clearly hear his sweet, quiet voice, desperately whispering, 

   "Help!"

   I throw myself to him and pull his shaking body on my chest. 

   "I'm here, my love. It's Em. Don't be afraid! I'll help you," I sob out. 

   He turns his head to me and his eyes look normal now. His gaze is puzzled but, in an instance, he seems to realize who I am. He puts his palms on my shoulders and pushes me lightly.

   "Let go!" he breathes out. "Em, I see you, but you have to back away."

   My heart painfully shrinks. It's my fault. I had to be more careful. And now he's pushing me away. I had to take better care of my beautiful angel and never let this happen. 

   I slowly pull away from him. It hurts. 

   He may have sensed my thoughts or, maybe, it's because I'm actually crying, but he raises his trembling hand to my face and puts his cold palm on my cheek.

   "I love you!" he whispers. "I just need some space for a while." 

   Saying this, he jumps up and runs through the French windows, leading outside.

___________________________________

*"Save me!

Wait!

Please, take my hand!

Don't let me die here!

Please, come back!"

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 77!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

You're amazing!

I hope you're not in too big distress.

Do you think Em will be able to manage this horrific situation?

I'll be glad to hear more of your theories about what caused this, but I warn you, I won't confirm or deny any of them. 😶

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you enjoyed the story.

It's the greatest award for the author.

See you in the next chapter.

Love: Anny