A Lovely Song (Kawakami Bansai)

She was a quiet woman when he first met her. Takasugi had just brought her in— claiming she was an old friend of his and decided to let her stay with them.

But she wasn't a woman of emotion— 90% of the time, Bansai would find her asleep or eating. Her past was shrouded in mystery, she never spoke much and wasn't that close to anyone in the Kiheitai but Takasugi.

Well, Bansai did have a rough hunch as to who she could be. Before, he had always heard from Takasugi about a woman who participated in the war with him and the Four Heavenly Kings— Takasugi wasn't a man who easily got along with others, especially females.

He was that edgy.

So, it led to Bansai concluding that (Y/N)— was a former comrade of Takasugi, Gintoki, Sakamoto and Katsura. As to why she was currently with them and how she ended up with them— he didn't know.

But, as time passed by— Bansai's curiousity about her slowly formed into affection which the man himself was still unaware of. He had always been tasked with watching over her, but really she did nothing but sleep all day so he never got the proper chance to speak with her.

-------

Bansai walked into the room, Takasugi had gone outside to deal with something so he entrusted (Y/N) to him. But, entering the room— he sees a usual sight. (Y/N) leaning against the wall, arms crossed over her sword which she hugged to her chest as she dozed off.

"....Your back will hurt if you continue to sleep like this," Bansai lowly mumbled, walking over to the bed to grab the blanket before he carefully tried to put it over her shoulders.

The second the blanket hit her shoulders— her eyes flew open and the tip of her sword was already pointed at Bansai's neck.

(Y/N)'s eyes widened slightly when she realized that it was Bansai and hurriedly withdrew her sword, "...Sorry." She mumbled lowly making Bansai smile slowly, at least she had started talking to him.

She wasn't quite comfortable with Matako— seeing as they started fighting the second they met meanwhile Takechi— (Y/N) threatened to cut his limbs off if he approached her.

So, the only ones she permitted to be with her were Bansai and Takasugi.

"....Is Shinsuke gone again?" She asked, her eyes flutterig open slowly— she looked so elegant in every single way Bansai saw her and his heart couldn't help but flutter anytime she did something.

"Yes." Bansai answered shortly with a nod, taking a seat beside her. "If you're still sleepy, would you like to nap? I'll be here." Bansai assured her, gesturing to the bed as he lifted his shamisen to his lap.

(Y/N) stared at Bansai for a while, Bansai sweat dropped at how obvious she was being with her gaze. '..I still can't read her....' He sighs in his mind.

"No." (Y/N) suddenly looked away and huffed, "I have trouble sleeping these past few days," She answered curtly before she looked down. "When I finally got some sleep, you woke me up."

"I-I'm sorry?...." Bansai felt bad for her. He did hear from Takasugi that she had been having trouble sleeping lately and is one of the reasons why she always stayed in Takasugi's room— she was always awake and alert.

At the conversation draws to an end, Bansai decided that he should continue his music writing so he puts his earphones on and tries to listen to music to get into the tune.

But, after a while he notices (Y/N)'s gaze on him. He looks at her, and indeed she was gazing intensely at him. Those (E/C) eyes of hers seemed to be analyzing him, but her face was expressionless as always.