In My Eyes (Saito Shimaru)

"Maru-chan!!!"

Shimaru flinched when he heard her call for his name. Craning his neck back a little behind him, he sees (Y/N) waving her hand at him with a big smile on her lips.

Without a second thought, Shimaru dashed away just before she could approach him.

"Huh?....Eh?....Why?! I was just saying hi....." (Y/N) sighs disappointedly, watching as the orange-haired male sprinted away. Sougo then appeared by her side with his hands in his pockets and his eyes locked on Shimaru.

"Ah...You scared him nee-san." Sougo shook his head at her with a look of derision. (Y/N) felt guilty somehow— even though she perfectly knew she did nothing to the male. After all, she loved and treasured him more than anyone else did!

"You know how it is with Shimaru-niisan. You have to be gentle, don't scare him away."

"No....Maru-chan isn't usually like that— he seems to be....." (Y/N) placed a hand on her chin and thought deeply, "—running away from me?"

"What do you think, So-chan?"

"Dunno," Sougo shrugged his shoulders boredly at her. "He's your boyfriend."

Now, why was Shimaru actually running away from his girlfriend? It had been a while since he confessed and they started dating so he naturally grew comfortable around her. Was he getting scared of talking again? No, (Y/N) had never heard him speak before.

So why?

That was because of a small scene he had witnessed just the other day when he was out on a patrol with Yamazaki.

(Yahoo! Flashback Start!!)

"Haah, I'm so tired—" Yamazaki yawned, but it was soon cut short when Shimaru shoved his sketchpad right on Yamazaki's face as he halted to a stop.

"Ack!! Captain, what're you doing—?!"

"SHHHHHHHHH!" Was written in big bold letters on the sketchpad he shoved at Yamazaki's face.

"...What?" Yamazaki sighs as he scratches his head, unable to understand what it meant. This was then he noticed that the orange haired captain was gazing rather intently on someone— following Shimaru's gaze he finds (Y/N)— with a man.

"No way! (Y/N)-san?!—" Yamazaki was cut off again when Shimaru shot a crumpled paper in Yamazaki's mouth.

Yamazaki frowned and hid beside Shimaru as they watched (Y/N) converse with a guy— who they both did not recognize.

(Y/N) lived at the Shinsengumi— she was the resident nurse there and thus had lived her whole life with the only men she conversed and interacted with were the Shinsengumi! They also heard from Kondo-san about her not having any family left so who was she talking to?

"That man....he looks a bit familiar," Yamazaki cupped his chin in deep thought as they watched the tall brown-haired man in red clothes laugh loudly at (Y/N)'s words.

"Do you know him?"

Yamazaki shook his head at Shimaru's question. "He just seems familiar!! But I really don't believe me!!"

"....Then who is he?"

Shimaru narrowed his red eyes at the two. (Y/N) never told him anything about having friends— although, she did mention that she used to work in the war before.