I Can't Choose (Sakata Gintoki/Hijikata Toshiro)

*Reader had Sluggish Cognitive Tempo in this fic— Bisha-chan isn't familiar with it either but will try her best.

"I-Is this good enough, maybe?..." Hijikata awkwardly picks up a bouquet of roses.

"Can I help you choose something for your girlfriend?" The clerk pops out of nowhere making Hijikata flinch.

''G-Girlfriend?! W-Well, she's not my girlfriend yet...I mean she doesn't even know I like her but I mean I could confess—"

Hijikata starts rambling on while blushing, when it came to the topic of (Y/N)— Hijikata would always turn into a blushing mess.

"Yeah, no one cares about your love life Hijikata-san. You're gonna end up alone anways." Okita grabs the bouquet in Hijikata's hand and pushes it into the clerk's hands.

"We'll take this," Okita pulls out a wallet and pays for it, "By the way, for completely no reason do you have a bucket of thorns you removed from the roses?"

"You're paying for it? That's unlike you, Sougo." Hijikata says, "But then again— it is for (Y/N)..."

"Me? Oh no, you're paying for it Hijikata-san." Okita smiles, returning Hijikata's wallet to him— although empty.

"AH! Sougo, you—!!"

Why was Hijikata buying flowers? The reason was, earlier that day they arrested Gintoki for walking around with an ugly face— so Hijikata expected that (Y/N) would come bail him out.

After all, the two were close childhood friends. (Y/N) lived with Gintoki in their humble house, and that was when Hijikata met her.

And so, both Hijikata and Gintoki have been in a fierce competition for (Y/N)'s attention ever since.

"Oi! Let me out you mayonnaise monster! I didn't even do anything!" Gintoki yells from the cell when Hijikata and Sougo arrived.

"Why the hell do you have flowers?— This bastard! You planned this just to get (Y/N)'s attention?!"

"Shut up, you criminal." Hijikata scoffs at Gintoki and then picks up the phone to inform (Y/N) about Gintoki's whereabouts.

"Hello?....Who is this,"

(Y/N)'s tired voice was heard through the phone, followed by a yawn— meaning she just woke up.

"Oh, uhm...(Y/N)-san this is Hijikata from the Shinsengumi..."

Hijikata couldn't keep his heart still, his voice and hands were shaking— a little blush spread over his cheeks while Gintoki was shouting profanities behind him.

"Oh? Shinsengumi...We're not criminals, we haven't done anything. We're innocent."

"N-No! Of course not! (Y/N), yiou're an angel— I-I mean, ahem! I'm calling to inform you that sugar freak is jailed here."

"Oh? Gin-chan is? Hm...well, Toshi-chan thank you for your service"

"My service? Ahahahah! Any time for you, so uh...what time will you drop by to bail him out?"

"...Well, it sounds like a pain....Gin-chan is a big man he can handle himself— I'm gonna go sleep..."

"Sleep well— I-I mean what? You're not gonna bail him out?!"

"....It's too much of a bother to go all the way there just for that idiot to wound up back there."

It was half-true, actually— it was a plan devised by Hijikata. He would arrest Gintoki on even numbers of the day so he would get to see (Y/N) without actually being obvious.