You Have Me (Sakata Gintoki)

It was suffocating.

The dreadful and irony stench of blood filled the surroundings. Their sights blocked by the black clouds of smoke rising from the houses set on fire.

Cries and wails from the smallest of children that were left behind and their parents lying dead by their side.

It was hell—

The houses were damaged, set on fire and the rubble and debris were splayed all around the place.

Amidst this hell, one kid sat lifelessly on the ground. Her (E/C) losing the light as she looked at the ground hollowly with tears falling from her eyes— but her face was devoid of emotions.

"Take her."

Before she knew it she was being hurled by tall men, her wrists bound by ropes.

"Now, work!"

Whips, metal rods and swords

Ropes tied around wrists, and collars on their necks.

She was nothing more than a slave.

Locked inside a cell, her body shivering fron the cold with only a small bit of cloth to warm herself with.

"I SAID WORK!!" A whip came down on her, connecting with her small, fragile body. Tears well in her eyes as she bit her lip, and picked up the shovel to continue working.

(Y/N) jolted awake, her breathing ragged and sweat covering her forehead. She looked around— Suddenly, a hand shot out to rub her back.

"Shh....Go back to sleep," Gintoki's rough voice rings next to her, and she finally realized that he was beside her all along. "It's okay, come on." His soft voice brought her comfort as he gently pulled her back down to lay on the futon.

"Gin, I'm sorry— I....." She let him pull her back down on the futon as he warmly enveloped her in his embrace. Gintoki pressed her to his chest as if to block out her muffled cries while she clung unto him tightly.

"It's alright..." He whispers sofrly, rubbing her back to calm her down. "You're okay now, you're safe...You have me."

Tears welled up in her eyes at his comforting words that made her relax. He always knew what to do— "......Thank you," She softly whimpered, burying her face in his chest.

Soon, she fell back into a peaceful slumber. And she didn't have those nightmares again. As if Gintoki had chased them all away.

--------

"(Y/N)-chan, are you cold?"

(Y/N) snapped out from her thoughts and looked at Otae as she blinked her eyes. "Oh, me?...." She asked and Otae nodded with a gentle smile.

"It's summer, but you're wearing a scarf." She pointed out, her eyes falling on the blue scarf she had wrapped around her neck. "Oh...." (Y/N) breathed out in a soft sigh, as she looked down.

"Yeah, I....." She gently placed her hand on her arm and squeezed it lightly, "I get cold easily." She lifted her scarf even higher and averted her gaze once more— an indirect way of saying she didn't wanna talk about it.

"I see..." Otae smiles kindly at her before she dropped the subject, noticing how she was obviously dodging the topic.

Ever since Otae, Shinpachi and Kagura met (Y/N), they had never seen her go around without her scarf. Well, to be specific— (Y/N) was already with Gintoki way before they met Shinpachi and Kagura.